Kaysville neighborhood gathers supplies, donations for Afghanistan refugees
KAYSVILLE, Utah — The first Afghanistan refugee has arrived in Utah after fleeing the country with just the clothes on his back, and members of one Utah community are doing what they can to set future refugees up with what they’ll need when they get here.
It’s the simple things in life that we see but forget about — a shirt, diapers for children or even a toothbrush.
Those simple things most Utahns have — refugees usually don’t when fleeing a war-torn country.
That’s why Greg Jones rallied his Kaysville neighborhood together on Wednesday.
It really warms my heart doing these stories… People helping people they don't even know and might not ever meet.
— Morgan Wolfe (@MorganWolfeKSL) September 2, 2021
“Well, I didn’t decide to do this until Saturday afternoon,” he said.
Neighbors collected donations just within the last few days, and even the smallest helpers showed up today to lend a hand.
“It’s been a lot of phone calls and I made an announcement at church,” Jones said. “I said we are going to do and just bring as much as we can of whatever they need.”
One by one, boxes were packed up.
“I mean to be fair, these camps they set up, they have shelter and food and their lives,” Jones said. “But I think everyone would agree they deserve a lot more.”
A simple thing in life, uniting this community.
“To see the generosity and giving out there, I think everyone would agree this is what life is about,” Jones said.
Jones is driving a trailer full of donations to the nonprofits Thursday. If you would like to help the refugees, you can visit the Catholic Community Services website to see what they need
- Utah teen girl arrested for planning mass casualty event at school (pageviews: 24684)
- Idaho father fighting for his life in Utah hospital after dirt biking crash (pageviews: 19330)
- Medical examiner and cadaver dog called to park where investigators found Brian Laundrie's items (pageviews: 9862)
- Utah teen girl arrested for planning mass casualty event at school – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 9476)
- Utah woman arrested on suspicion of shaking, killing her infant boy (pageviews: 6688)
- Suspected human remains, items belonging to Brian Laundrie found in Florida park, FBI says (pageviews: 5928)
- FBI: Items linked to Laundrie, potential remains found (pageviews: 5212)
- Haiti gang wants $17M ransom for kidnapped American and Canadian missionaries (pageviews: 4446)
- Utah family urges caution after 1-year-old hospitalized with COVID-19 (pageviews: 4306)