Utah food truck owner and son suffer second-degree burns after explosion
LAYTON, Utah — The owner of World Famous Yum Yum Food Truck believes a malfunction with his fryer caused the explosion Friday night.
Ben Pierce said he and his two sons were firing up the fryer when they saw flames engulf the food truck.
“All I felt was the heat! I didn’t even feel the boom. I didn’t even hear the boom, you know. I just saw fire,” said Ben Pierce, owner of World Famous Yum Yum Food Truck.
Pierce and one of his sons ended up in the hospital with second-degree burns to their face and hands.
As for damage to the food truck, Pierce said the blast broke the truck’s glass windows.
“The windshield actually flew like maybe 20 feet,” he said.
The family-owned business has had to cancel multiple catering events because of the incident.
“I was supposed to have one Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday,” Pierce said.
The family just bought the food truck and were going to debut it for the holidays. Thankfully, they have another truck to help keep business going during the holidays.
This is not the first time they have had damage to one of their truck. In June, their original food truck was vandalized when a racial slur was spray-painted across the vehicle.
The family said both of the incidents were unfortunate but they are getting through it with community support.
“Everybody has been messaging us, you know, people praying with me on the phone,” Pierce said.
The family is just thankful the explosion did not cost them their lives.
“We are happy we are still here that’s for sure,” Pierce said.
- After loud boom across Utah, here’s why you should check your yard for treasure – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 24950)
- After loud boom across Utah, here’s why you should check your yard for treasure (pageviews: 19408)
- Utah player suffers tragic accident just days before Little League World Series (pageviews: 7979)
- Teen vandals destroy koi pond, try to harm fish at Salt Lake City business (pageviews: 6672)
- West Jordan woman killed in crash with truck in Big Cottonwood Canyon (pageviews: 5715)
- UPDATE: Police found missing man dead (pageviews: 5710)