Light the World Giving Machines raise over $5.8 million for humanitarian aid
SALT LAKE CITY— Light the World Giving Machines in 10 cities across the United States raised over $5.8 million and saw over 300,000 visitors over the holiday season. Open from November through December of 2021, the machines are designed to donate money for specific humanitarian aid items to aid, feed, clothe, shelter, and care for others.
Donations from 2021 will help the following:
- More than 1.7 million meals and 14,000 boxes of fresh produce will feed the hungry.
- Nearly 20,000 children will receive essential clothing.
- More than 837,000 children will receive a polio vaccine.
- More than 80,000 chickens will provide families with long-term nutrition and income potential.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has provided Giving Machines since 2017, paying for all administrative and operational fees, including all credit card transaction fees. This support allows every penny of donations to go straight to participating organizations. Since then, the Giving Machines have raised over $15 million dollars over the past six years.
Sharon Eubank, president of Latter-day Saint Charities, said,
“Each person who participated with the Giving Machines has given a loving and unselfish gift. We may not always meet the people we help, but we will be forever connected. I express sincere gratitude to all who helped make it happen. It’s such a Christ-like gesture to feed, clothe, educate and shelter brothers and sisters. In this simple way we express our love to the Savior and our love to others by following His example of caring.”
- Utah state prisons on lockdown after three assaults against officers (pageviews: 6644)
- West Jordan mother in the ICU after being hit by snowmobile while tubing (pageviews: 6488)
- Provo will soon be welcoming its 1st full-size Target store (pageviews: 4817)
- 7 arrested in drug trafficking investigation in Utah and Salt Lake counties (pageviews: 3927)
- Chilling search history on Enoch father's phone: 'Can neighbors hear gunshots?' (pageviews: 3512)
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns (pageviews: 3261)