Geotagging shows most of the U.S. backs Chris Rock over Will Smith after ‘the slap’
While the nation is still buzzing about what has been called “the slap heard around the world” many have chosen a side in Sunday’s conflict between actors Will Smith and Chris Rock.
It turns out most of the U.S. is on Rock’s side after after Smith answered a joke about his wife’s haircut — Jada Pinkett Smith who suffers from alopecia — and walked onstage and slapped Rock across the face. The Hill reported the findings based on geotagged Twitter data collected by BetOnline.ag.
Of the 50 U.S. states, 41 support Rock in the polarizing debate that has formed around Sunday’s live television broadcast of The Oscars. Hashtags like #TeamChris and #TeamWill, as well as supportive phrases were measured to determine support.
However, in the middle of the continent a cluster of states support Smith.
Smith apologized Monday and said:
My behavior at last night’s Academy Awards was unacceptable and inexcusable.
He said he is a work in progress.
Not long after the slap an emotional Smith stood on the same stage to accept the award for best actor for his portrayal of real-life tennis father Richard Williams in “King Richard.” He apologized to theAcademy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, the organization behind The Oscars, and his fellow nominees. He didn’t mention Rock in his tearful speech Sunday.
The Los Angeles Police Department said Chris Rock declined to press charges against Smith.
The reported the states who supported Smith, including Mississippi with the highest rate at 75.4% include:
- New Hampshire
- South Carolina
The state with the highest support for Rock was Maine with a stunning 98.2%.
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 13441)
- 2 former Stansbury High School teammates to faceoff in the Super Bowl (pageviews: 7554)
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns (pageviews: 5852)
- Residential care facility faces fine after woman pronounced dead found gasping for air in body bag (pageviews: 4852)
- Utah state prisons on lockdown after three assaults against officers (pageviews: 4484)
- Missing Arizona girl found in basement of convicted Utah sex offender on parole (pageviews: 3699)