AAA: Utah gas prices hit new record high of $5.17 while national average falls under $5
DRAPER, Utah – Gas prices in the Beehive State are moving opposite to the national average, hitting a new record high of $5.17 a gallon on Tuesday, according to AAA.
“By about $25, the most I’ve ever paid,” said Jared Singleton of American Fork after filling up his pickup truck.
Singleton said the price of gas has forced his family to find ways to drive fewer miles.
“It definitely keeps us off the road more,” he said. “Especially in the summertime when we would usually get out and go tubing, or go up in the hills. So we’re not traveling as much.”
Utah’s average price jumped 16 cents over the last week while the national average dropped a nickel to $4.96 per gallon.
“The recent high prices may have led to a small drop in domestic gasoline demand as fewer drivers fueled up last week,” said a prepared statement from AAA spokesperson Andrew Gross.
“This dip, coupled with less costly oil, has taken some steam out of surging pump prices. And this is happening right before drivers gas up for what AAA forecasts will be a busy July 4th travel weekend.”
AAA expects a record-setting 42 million people to travel by car over the 4th of July holiday.
“On all accounts, at least when it comes to road trips, the 50-mile-plus road trips, AAA still sees a really high demand for fuel,” AAA spokesperson John Treanor told KSL TV.
“The question is their daily life. Will Americans cut back on fuel or fill-ups in their daily lives? And if that demand dips, you could also see prices dip.”
Treanor said AAA is watching to see if Utah’s upward trend in gas prices continues.
“Utah is an outlier here, but that doesn’t mean a decrease won’t be coming,” he said. “Demand might just be up in the state of Utah. If demand goes down, so will the prices.”
On Monday, President Joe Biden said he’s considering a federal gas tax holiday and would make a decision by the end of the week. If approved, the order could save drivers about 18 cents a gallon.
- Utah's Peter Sinks reaches -62 Monday; Why does it get so cold? (pageviews: 8563)
- Utah’s Peter Sinks reaches -62 Monday; Why does it get so cold? - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3901)
- Two employees dead at Northrop Grumman Magna facility (pageviews: 3445)
- Utah correctional officer assaulted by inmate at state prison (pageviews: 2621)
- Alleged fraud committed by top leaders at Layton Christian Academy - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 2604)
- Two employees dead at Northrop Grumman Magna facility - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 2477)