New Porter Rockwell bridge to connect I-15 and Redwood Rd in Bluffdale
A new bridge and stretch of road is expected to open to drivers, pedestrians and cyclists in Bluffdale Friday afternoon, offering residents a faster and more convenient commute between the west and east sides of the city.
Before crews took down the signs and barriers on Porter Rockwell Boulevard, 14600 South was the only road in Bluffdale to get commuters to and from Redwood Road and I-15. The street narrows down to one lane, causing big backups for drivers.
“Getting over to Redwood a pain,” Ryan Hess, who lives in the neighborhood off Porter Rockwell next to the start of the new road said.
Hess said it would cut down his commute time to Redwood Road significantly. He estimates it will take less than a minute to get there now.
“Our city motto is ‘Life Connected’ and this bridge really does connect us,” said Mayor Natalie Hall.
Mayor Hall was among others who celebrated the milestone during a ribbon-cutting ceremony the day before.
“Monday morning there will be cheering all over the valley because now parents can get their kids to school in a few minutes where it would take up to a half hour.”
Hall said the vision for Porter Rockwell has been in the works for 15 years. Construction has taken the five years.
“It will finally connect our east and west side. It will connect businesses. It will connect neighbors and students going to school. This bridge is historical for our city and will bring great economic opportunity as well.”
The open road will bring more traffic past Hess’s neighborhood. He said not knowing how traffic would affect the area was the “one bummer” of the project.
But overall, he looks forward to what the new bridge will do for his commute on the road and the bike path. A paved path along the road gives walkers and cyclists access to the Jordan River Parkway trail.
Officials said the new bridge is 435 feet long and 65 feet high, making it one of the longest and tallest bridges of its kind in Utah. It sits over the Jordan River, the trail and railroad tracks.
The new road and bridge help connect I-15 to Mountain View Corridor. UDOT expects it will help cut down traffic on I-15, Redwood Road and Bangerter highway.
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns (pageviews: 16557)
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 16009)
- Residential care facility faces fine after woman pronounced dead found gasping for air in body bag (pageviews: 13809)
- Missing Arizona girl found in basement of convicted Utah sex offender on parole (pageviews: 9044)
- 2 former Stansbury High School teammates to faceoff in the Super Bowl (pageviews: 7278)
- Missing Massachusetts girl found in Utah; man arrested for alleged human trafficking - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3003)