West Valley man charged with attempted murder in weekend hammer assault
DELTA, Utah — A West Valley man accused of using a hammer in a violent assault is facing several criminal charges.
Obed Orihuela, 25, was charged Monday in 4th District Court with attempted murder and aggravated burglary, first-degree felonies; aggravated assault, a third-degree felony; criminal mischief, a class A misdemeanor; assault, a class B misdemeanor; and intoxication, a class C misdemeanor, according to aKSL.com report.
About 3:15 a.m. Saturday, Millard County sheriff’s deputies responded to a home in Delta where Orihuela was found bleeding in the doorway. As deputies sorted out what had happened, they learned that Orihuela had gone to the home looking for his girlfriend and once he found her hiding in a closet, he “grabbed her by the hair and started punching (her) in the head,” according to a police booking affidavit.
Other people in the home came to the woman’s aid and were able to get Orihuela out of the residence, despite one man being punched in the head multiple times, police said.
Orihuela then went to his vehicle “and pulled out a large framing hammer. (He) walked up behind (a second woman) and attempted to hit her in the head with the hammer,” the affidavit states.
The woman was able to move just in time to avoid being hit in the head, but she was struck in the back with such force that it left an imprint of the hammer on her back, according to the affidavit. Orihuela then allegedly hit another man with the hammer on his hand as he tried to close the door to the residence.
“Obed used the hammer to put holes in the door and break out the door window. Obed exited the porch and threw the hammer, breaking one of the front windows. Obed went back to the trunk of his car and retrieved two razor blades, a wire cutter, and an ice pick and attempted to enter the residence again,” according to the arrest report.
Deputies say Orihuela was “extremely intoxicated” when they arrived.
- Church opening six new missions in 2023 (pageviews: 12259)
- Here is a list of stores open on Thanksgiving day for that last-minute ingredient - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 7066)
- Utah deputies identify suspect in 1972 murder, rape case; still looking for second suspect (pageviews: 6499)
- EXCLUSIVE: Man takes woman hostage on flight to SLC, Good Samaritan steps in (pageviews: 5989)
- Utahn charged with assault after allegedly holding blade to woman's throat on flight (pageviews: 5264)
- Utah man buys humidifier found with five packages of cocaine in it (pageviews: 5001)
- Two injured in I-80 crash; several crashes reported as Thanksgiving travel picks up (pageviews: 4528)