Eagle Mountain teen critical after being hit by SUV
EAGLE MOUNTAIN — A 16-year-old boy was in critical condition Saturday evening after being hit by an SUV while he was riding a bike.
The accident happened around 6 p.m. Saturday along Pony Express Parkway, between Ranches Parkway and Smith Ranch Road in Eagle Mountain. Investigators said the teen was with a friend.
“They were riding on the walking path, attempted to cross pony express parkway here. We believe the first juvenile made it across safely, second juvenile was struck by an automobile heading eastbound,” said Sergeant Tyler Collet of the Utah County Sheriff’s Office.
Collet said the teen’s injuries were critical and they called for a helicopter to fly him to Primary Children’s Hospital in Salt Lake City. Investigators are still trying to figure out exactly what led up to the accident. Collet said there was no indication that the driver was impaired. Investigators believe the teen never saw the SUV coming.
“At this point in the investigation, it appears to be just an accident,” Collet said. “Based on where the vehicle came to a stop, it appears to us that the driver tried to avoid the bicyclist,”
On the Eagle Mountain City Twitter account, a city official expressed their support, saying, “our hearts are with them hoping for a full recovery,”
Police said the other teen was not injured.
- 12-year-old girl critically injured in Kaysville parade incident (pageviews: 7375)
- Centerville wildfire 'most likely' caused by fireworks; evacuation orders lifted (pageviews: 7194)
- UTA: One man dead, another injured after shooting at TRAX station – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6211)
- 12-year-old girl critically injured in Kaysville parade incident – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5382)
- UTA: One man dead, another injured after shooting at TRAX station (pageviews: 4290)
- Centerville wildfire ‘most likely’ caused by fireworks; evacuation orders lifted – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4224)