Police video shows consequences for fake school threats
A new video has been released by Unified Police to show the consequences of making a threat to a school, even if it was intended to be a joke.
Officials with the Unified Police Department of Greater Salt Lake released the educational video on school safety Tuesday morning titled “Not Funny.” The video was first posted on their Facebook page.
“We want to make sure every student understands that when you make threats to a school, whether it’s online, whether it’s in written form or verbal, it can become a serious issue not only for the student but also the students that attend the schools.”
The video was created in collaboration with Granite School District and the media services unit. According to the Facebook post, the goal of the video was to educate the public about what happens after a student makes a threat to a school, even if the threat was supposed to be “funny.”
In the video, Granite School District’s communication director, Ben Horsley, told students to think about the things they are posting to social media. He said even if the threats are intended to be a joke, it will potentially violate the Safe School policy and there will be serious consequences, including arrest.
Sheriff Rosie Rivera from the Salt Lake County Sheriff’s Office said the video reflects how a joke can turn into a serious threat to a school.
“We want to make sure every student understands that when you make threats to a school, whether it’s online, whether it’s in written form or verbal, it can become a serious issue not only for the student but also the students that attend the schools,” said Sheriff Rivera.
Both Horsely and Sherriff Rivera said parents should to get involved in their children’s social media activity, and speak to them about what they are seeing and posting.
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 8296)
- Attempted kidnapping near Utah junior high has school, police warning parents (pageviews: 5701)
- Suspect arrested in connection to ritualistic child sex abuse investigation (pageviews: 4813)
- Three-vehicle crash closes Mountain View Corridor, one passenger ejected (pageviews: 3465)
- Police: Suspect shot, hospitalized after exchanging gunfire with Orem officers (pageviews: 3004)
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County (pageviews: 2451)