Man Wielding Two Hammers Fatally Shot at Pleasant Grove Home
Jul 7, 2018, 1:09 PM
PLEASANT GROVE, Utah – A man is dead following a shooting in Pleasant Grove. Police say the shooting took place just outside the front door of the home. On Friday night, it was being classified as a homicide investigation, but could be a case of self-defense.
Police said the deceased man suffered from mental illness. He’s also a family member of the home owner and had trespassed at the home before. On Friday, they say he showed up with a sledge hammer and a claw hammer and tried to get in through the front door. Some kind of altercation took place, and another family member fired a single shot at the man hitting him in the chest.
“If you’re in fear for your life or your family’s life, you have the opportunity to defend yourself and use deadly force,” said Captain Michael Roberts with the Pleasant Grove Police Department.
The 50-year-old man died at American Fork hospital despite rescue attempts by neighbors and family at the scene.
“There is a past history with this individual with mental illness,” said Captain Roberts. “We’ve dealt with him before, so this is quite sad.”
Police will continue with the investigation before determining if this is a self-defense shooting. They say no one was taken into custody and everyone involved is cooperating.
KSL 5 TV Live
- Utah state prisons on lockdown after three assaults against officers (pageviews: 6644)
- West Jordan mother in the ICU after being hit by snowmobile while tubing (pageviews: 6488)
- Provo will soon be welcoming its 1st full-size Target store (pageviews: 4817)
- 7 arrested in drug trafficking investigation in Utah and Salt Lake counties (pageviews: 3927)
- Chilling search history on Enoch father's phone: 'Can neighbors hear gunshots?' (pageviews: 3512)
- Felony charges for contractor accused of ripping off several Utahns (pageviews: 3261)