Fake Website Uses Real Orem Business To Scam Would-Be Car Buyers
OREM, Utah – A real Orem business is being used by scammers to rip people off, using a fake website that appears to belong to the business.
Tavos Motors, on 800 North in Orem is a body shop, which sells a few salvaged cars on the lot.
He’s never advertised his business online, even though he recently discovered there is a Tavos Motors website, which was made to look like it is for his business.
The site has a lot of used cars for sale, including a 1997 Porsche 911 Turbo. Last week, someone showed up with a lot of cash, demanding to pick up their Porsche, which they had already paid a significant amount of money for with a down payment, made through a wire transfer. The person became angry when Gustavo didn’t have it, to the point he had to call the police.
Orem police say this appears to be a new attempt at an old fashioned scam, trying to get people to wire money, likely overseas, money they can’t get back when they realize they have been duped.
“These scammers have set up a website and a Facebook page and they have got a picture of his building, and pictures of his car he has never had,” said Lt. Craig Martinez, with the Orem Police Department.
“People are sending these fraudsters money through wire transfers, expecting to get a high dollar car in return, they never get it,” he added.
Police hope by warning the public, no one else will get ripped off.
“The best advice we can give is don’t send anybody any money unless you have actually met them face to face,” said Lt. Martinez.
- High winds, heavy snow warning for ‘hazardous conditions’ Friday morning - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 36760)
- Body in Provo identified as jogger killed in hit-and-run (pageviews: 18142)
- High winds, heavy snow warning for 'hazardous conditions' Friday morning (pageviews: 7530)
- Newly built homes deemed unlivable due to sliding soil (pageviews: 6148)
- SB I-15 reopens in Layton following police chase, shooting (pageviews: 5835)
- Lehi mom stranded in snowstorm grateful for help from unexpected stranger - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5830)
- Winter storm leads to messy morning commute; schools moving online, delaying starts - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5795)