Barzee Released From Prison, Must Follow Several Rules During Supervised Release
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – As Wanda Barzee re-enters society, she will have to follow several conditions, including refraining from contact with Elizabeth Smart or Smart’s family.
When Barzee was sentenced in 2010, the agreement included several conditions that are standard for a person on supervised release. There was also a requirement for Barzee to participate in a mental health treatment program and take any mental health medications as prescribed.
Barzee signed a form Wednesday morning amending her supervised released conditions to include four more. Barzee is forbidden from contacting Elizabeth Smart or Smart’s family. She must reside in an emergency housing facility designated by her probation officer until that officer approves another residence. She must remain in her residence from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. She must avoid designated areas where the Smart family could be.
Barzee’s attorney, Scott Williams, said she wanted to avoid the public eye.
“Ms. Barzee’s singular desire is to comply with all conditions of her release and to be left alone. We implore the public and the media to respect that desire,” Williams said Wednesday morning.
He said there is no reliable evidence that Barzee poses a threat to anyone.
“It is unfair and counter-productive to assert otherwise without reliable evidence and we hope that people will refrain from doing so,” he said.
Barzee has 72 hours from her release to report to the federal probation office. It was unclear Wednesday afternoon if that had already happened.
- ‘Our worst fears': Kidnapped baby, parents, uncle found dead (pageviews: 8145)
- 'The Training Table' announces return with food trucks, sauces and future restaurants (pageviews: 7716)
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6092)
- Lori Vallow Daybell trial suspended due to new concerns about her competency - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5816)
- Person recovered at Arches National Park identified as Virginia woman (pageviews: 4143)
- Person recovered at Arches National Park identified as Virginia woman - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3938)