Driver Tells Police He Meant To Crash Into His Neighbors House
OREM, Utah – A 39-year-old driver was arrested after crashing into an Orem home. Police said it was an intentional crash as a result of a dispute between neighbors.
Officials with the Orem Police Department said Jeffrey Giles plowed through the living room of his next door neighbor’s home on Thursday evening. Giles was arrested on suspicion of aggravated assault and driving under the influence.
“The car was literally all the way inside of the house. The driver of the car took off on foot, so when we got there, he wasn’t there anymore,” said Lt. Craig Martinez.
When officers first arrived, they couldn’t figure out how the crash could have happened.
“Obviously there was a lot of damage to the home and he hit it in a soft spot. It is odd to see a car that far into a house,” Lt. Martinez added.
Police found Giles several blocks away. Court documents said he gave officers an explanation about what happened.
“It was intentionally done. The driver of the car had some beef with the neighbor and decided to drive the car inside,” said Lt. Martinez.
Officials said Giles does have a history of domestic violence and substance abuse, and reportedly told officers he was on meth.
“We do believe there was some recent drug use, whether it is yesterday morning or the night before, but there is some recent drug use on his part,” Martinez said.
The homeowner told KSL on he initially thought it was an accident from an inexperienced driver.
He said Insurance adjustors and an engineer were concerned the damage was so great structurally, that the home may have to be torn down.
Police said the incident could have been much worse.
“We are just glad that no one was hurt, fortunately everybody inside the house was unharmed,” Lt. Martinez said.
- Details emerge in killings of 2 elderly Clearfield residents (pageviews: 21340)
- EXCLUSIVE: Man takes woman hostage on flight to SLC, Good Samaritan steps in (pageviews: 8551)
- Man arrested in Mexico for murder of Utah radio host (pageviews: 7157)
- Charges in crash that killed 3 should not have been dismissed, Utah appeals court says (pageviews: 6307)
- Here is a list of stores open on Thanksgiving day for that last-minute ingredient - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5572)
- Church opening six new missions in 2023 (pageviews: 3940)