Davis County Resident Spots Threat On Snapchat, Results In Arrest In Virginia
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – A tip that made its way to the Statewide Information and Analysis Center, or SIAC, run by the Utah Department of Public Safety ultimately became part of an investigation that led to an arrest in Virginia.
Chief Brian Redd, at the State Bureau of Investigation says a Davis County teen initially reported the threat to Garfield County, after seeing a threat on Snapchat to a Garfield High School. Since the high school down there is Panguitch High, Redd says deputies were able to determine it wasn’t targeted there.
“The Sheriff contacted us. We’re well aware that there are several Garfield High Schools across the United States,” Redd said, explaining that SIAC has the ability to quickly share information across the country. “It was eventually connected to Northern Virginia.”
Redd says the threat on Snapchat was eventually connected to a Gar-Field High School in Northern Virginia. Authorities there determined that the threat was more of a hoax, but a juvenile was tracked down and taken into custody.
“We’re very happy that our citizens are willing to come forth and share those types of things when they see them,” Redd said. “If you see suspicious posts, or concerning behavior from an individual or a change of behavior in someone and you’re concerned, report those things.”
Redd says each threat has to be taken seriously, which is why he encourages citizens that if they see something to report it.
“We investigate them to the fullest and best that we can” Redd said. “They’re coming into law enforcement at a higher frequency than in the past.”
- High winds, heavy snow warning for ‘hazardous conditions’ Friday morning - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 17145)
- SB I-15 reopens in Layton following police chase, shooting (pageviews: 9231)
- SB I-15 closed in Layton following police chase, shooting (pageviews: 6159)
- High winds, heavy snow warning for 'hazardous conditions' Friday morning (pageviews: 5239)
- Witness recounts 'miraculous' Moab rescue after BASE jumper crashes into cliff (pageviews: 4464)
- SB I-15 reopens in Layton following police chase, shooting - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4141)