Mountain Crest Students Disciplined After Threatening Instagram Account Discovered
HYRUM – Some students at Mountain Crest High School say they were disappointed to learn of an Instagram account by two classmates, that appeared to threaten a school shooting.
“It’s kind of sad to see that at Mountain Crest,” Jarin James, a senior said. “Mountain Crest is a very good, loving high school. I feel like everybody really gets along there, we have really good school spirit.”
According to search warrants made public Tuesday, a student submitted a tip through the SafeUT app.
“I don’t know if it was a joke or not,” the tip stated. “I heard (the student) joking about bringing a gun on the bus or to school and shooting people.”
A school resource officer investigated the report, eventually serving warrants on the Instagram account, and at the homes of the two boys’ parents. According to documents, some ammunition was taken into custody from one of the homes.
According to the warrants, the Instagram account used memes with characters from Star Wars, and Mickey Mouse to glorify school shooters, and to claim that a shooting would take place at the school.
Cache County Sheriff Chad Jensen said in a news release that investigators interviewed dozens of students and conducted a thorough investigation, ultimately concluding that there was no threat to the school.
“I don’t think he should joke around about it,” Senior, Dillon Smith said of one of the suspects. “It’s something that needs to be taken a lot more serious.”
A spokesman for the Cache County School District said the two students were suspended after the account was discovered last month, and one of them has since been expelled to an alternative high school.
- 8-year-old girl dies after Kaysville parade incident (pageviews: 17916)
- 8-year-old girl critically injured in Kaysville parade incident – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 16520)
- Centerville wildfire 'most likely' caused by fireworks; evacuation orders lifted (pageviews: 8565)
- 12-year-old girl critically injured in Kaysville parade incident (pageviews: 8196)
- 8-year-old girl critically injured in Kaysville parade incident (pageviews: 7815)
- 12-year-old girl critically injured in Kaysville parade incident – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6068)