Two Men Killed in Auto-Pedestrian Crashes Hours Apart in South Salt Lake
SOUTH SALT LAKE, Utah – Two men were killed in separate auto-pedestrian accidents about a block away from each other and about 18 hours apart.
South Salt Lake Police executive officer Gary Keller said they got a call around 5:30 Saturday morning about a man wandering in traffic along 400 West 3300 South. When police arrived to investigate, they found the man had been hit by two vehicles and killed at 136 West 3300 South. Both drivers stopped and were cooperating with police.
Around 11:50 PM, Keller said they were called to another auto-pedestrian crash at 3300 South Main Street. Keller said two men were walking north to south on the east side of the intersection. When they were about halfway through the intersection, Keller said, the light for the crossing traffic turned green. He said a dark-colored Chevrolet Trailblazer heading east hit both men, then kept driving.
“An impact like that should leave significant damage to the vehicle, so the word is out to tow lots, auto repair, anything, if you see a dark-colored Trailblazer, please give us a call,” Keller said.
Keller said both men were taken to the hospital where one was pronounced dead and the other was in critical condition.
“They occurred within a block, block and a half of each other and two in one weekend, within 18 hours is unbelievable,” Keller said. “That’s probably a first for me in my career,”
Keller said the lighting in the area is not good. He said urged both drivers and pedestrians to be vigilant at crosswalks.
“You may have a light. You may have the right of way, but why challenge a vehicle with right of way? You need to stop. You need to make eye contact with the driver of the car that they’re slowing down, they’re stopping, and clear one lane at a time,” Keller said.
Investigators have not released the names of any of the people involved.
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 9267)
- Farmington man recovering after falling 40 feet off a highway overpass (pageviews: 8058)
- Woman killed, boyfriend arrested after SLC apartment complex shooting (pageviews: 6022)
- 2 killed in separate Utah Co. crashes; 1 injured after hitting school bus in Clearfield (pageviews: 5683)
- Trail runner hurt by cougar in Millcreek Canyon; DWR locates, euthanizes animal (pageviews: 3183)
- One person dead after shooting at Salt Lake City apartment complex (pageviews: 2423)