‘Tragic Accident’ Leaves 16 Year Old Dead After Shotgun Goes Off
KEARNS, Utah — A tragic accident in Kearns took the life of a 16-year-old boy after he was shot and killed while playing with a shotgun with his brother.
It happened just after 8 a.m. today in the area of 5400 South and 5000 West.
“He was amazing, biggest heart you have ever seen,” said the victim’s step mom, Jessie, to KSL. “he was getting his stuff together and he was a great boy.”
Police said the boy and his 17-year-old brother were playing with the shot gun in a bedroom “swinging it around” when suddenly it went off.
The boys didn’t know it was loaded, according to police.
“Guns are dangerous weapons — they are not toys, they are not something to be played with. Always assume that all guns are loaded. Don’t point them at people,” said Sgt. Melody Gray with Unified Police Department. “This is a horrible tragic accident that really didn’t need to happen.”
— Dan Rascon (@TVDanRascon) March 18, 2019
At the family’s request, police are not releasing the name of the boy.
Jessie told KSL that she has no idea where the shot gun came from.
“We have absolutely no idea,” said Jessie. “What happened here today has us all extremely shocked. We have a gun free home and our son was an amazing boxer, he was an amazing kid and had lots of great things the he was doing.”
Jessie said this is a sad and tragic example of the importance of gun safety.
“This is a shock and if I could tell anybody out there, teach your kids gun safety and in a blink of an eye you can lose everything, and it hurts everybody around them, ” she said.
Police say it appears this is nothing more than a tragic accident and don’t expect any charges will be filed.
- 19-year-old dies at hospital following crash in Uintah County (pageviews: 12077)
- Coldest temperature in the US Monday recorded in Peter Sinks, Utah (pageviews: 8131)
- Agents report finding child porn, bag of children's underwear in Utah man's home (pageviews: 6707)
- Coldest temperature in the US Monday recorded in Peter Sinks, Utah - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5572)
- High winds forces late start for northern Utah school districts (pageviews: 4895)
- 'Laverne & Shirley' actor Cindy Williams dies at 75 (pageviews: 3897)