Teen Thwarts Carjacking, Suspect Arrested Outside Police Dept.
SOUTH SALT LAKE, Utah — Terrifying moments tonight for a teen in South Salt Lake could have turned into something worse.
Police say this could have easily turned into a kidnapping if the teen hadn’t acted so quickly.
Officials told KSL TV it started when a man and woman got into a fight near the South Salt Lake Police Department at 22nd south and Main.
“He physically pulls the driver, 18-year-old female out of the car and gets into the car, in the driver seat,” South Salt Lake police executive officer Gary Keller said of the incident.
The woman drove off – leaving the man there, where police say he started trying to stop different cars and get into them.
“She heroically reaches over him, across him and grabs the keys out of the ignition. I wouldn’t advise anybody to do that in that same situation but in this instance, I guess, instinct took over and she made that move, stopping our suspect from leaving with her car,” Keller said.
Witnesses tried to hold the man but he broke free.
Police officers tazed him and took him into custody. He’s facing possible aggravated robbery charges.
- Details emerge in killings of 2 elderly Clearfield residents (pageviews: 24105)
- Man arrested in Mexico for murder of Utah radio host (pageviews: 8038)
- EXCLUSIVE: Man takes woman hostage on flight to SLC, Good Samaritan steps in (pageviews: 6318)
- Charges in crash that killed 3 should not have been dismissed, Utah appeals court says (pageviews: 5386)
- Three car crash closes road in West Valley City (pageviews: 3473)
- Man killed in rollover crash on I-15 in Draper (pageviews: 3334)