Wet Weather Causes Multiple Hydroplaning Incidents Statewide
LEHI, Utah — Utah Highway Patrol said they responded to multiple incidents, including hydroplaning, following Tuesday’s storm.
They said of the calls, about half involved bald tires.
Cpl. Andrew Battenfield said a rollover along I-80 westbound in Parley’s Canyon sent one person to the hospital.
“The first car lost control and hydroplaned into the next car,” he said. “I don’t think speed was a factor, I think that tire was the issue.”
Battenfield said the small amount of water was also to blame for the car sliding uncontrollably on the wet roadway. He encouraged drivers to be more cautious on days where we see a lot more rain.
“Just slow down on the freeway, get over to the right hand side and be that slower traffic,” he said.
In Utah County, employees of a Lehi business along I-15 captured a car hydroplaning near the 2100 North exit. Craig Thompson said it was not anything new for him to witness.
“In the last couple of months, I’ve see that happen about six or seven times,” Thompson said.
“I had been recording for only about four minutes before I saw the yellow car spin 180 degrees,” he said.
UDOT said they got the call about that standing water around that same time and took action.
“We immediately mobilized the pumps to try to get the water out of there,” John Gleason, UDOT spokesperson said. “We also put up the message boards that said ‘standing water, use caution’.”
UDOT said drivers could alert them of trouble spots with standing water by calling 844-401-TECH.
- Utah's Peter Sinks reaches -62 Monday; Why does it get so cold? (pageviews: 8563)
- Utah’s Peter Sinks reaches -62 Monday; Why does it get so cold? - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3901)
- Two employees dead at Northrop Grumman Magna facility (pageviews: 3445)
- Utah correctional officer assaulted by inmate at state prison (pageviews: 2621)
- Alleged fraud committed by top leaders at Layton Christian Academy - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 2604)
- Two employees dead at Northrop Grumman Magna facility - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 2477)