Body Found Inside Burned Sandy Home, Arson Suspected
SANDY, Utah — Sandy Police say a body has been recovered from a home gutted in an early morning fire.
Firefighters initially said the house was empty at the time of the fire, but once they were able to safely take a closer look one of the homeowners was found inside.
“With the collapse of the floor, we (didn’t) want to send anybody in with the potential of falling down and getting hurt,” said Chief Bruce Cline, Sandy City Fire Department.
The victim has been identified as 54-year-old Tracy Shumway.
DEVELOPING: Investigators say homeowner deceased in early morning fire in Sandy. Police suspect arson. They say they are not looking for any suspects and the public is not at risk @KSL5TV #KSLTV #Utah pic.twitter.com/PzucEGF3LE
— Andrew Adams (@AndrewAdamsKSL) May 11, 2019
This fire started around 3:30 this morning.
Firefighters had to take a defensive stance and combat it from outside, because of concerns about the floor collapsing.
“It’s suspected that there’s going to be arson involved,” Sandy City Police Sgt. Jason Nielsen said.
They don’t believe that there is any risk to anyone else and they’re not currently looking for any suspects.
Neighbors remain in disbelief over the destruction.
“It’s just always unfortunate they have to go into situations like that when they arise,” said one neighbor.
- US coach makes dramatic rescue of artistic swimmer at worlds (pageviews: 12401)
- AIR SHOW: What to bring, what to leave at home and how to get there (pageviews: 10261)
- Utah woman killed, one person injured in Nevada crash (pageviews: 5940)
- Live (pageviews: 4921)
- Utah 'trigger law' banning abortion to go into effect after Roe v. Wade overturned (pageviews: 4393)
- BREAKING: Abortion now prohibited in Utah (pageviews: 4001)