Police Seek Person Of Interest After Carjacking, Child Abandoned On State Street
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah — Police were looking Thursday for a man they said carjacked a minivan with a 3-year-old girl inside.
Lt. Jenn Diederich said at around 1:30 p.m., the driver of the minivan was attempting a U-turn at 2100 S. Green St. when the man approached the vehicle in the road and pulled the woman out of the driver’s seat.
Witnesses followed the carjacker and called dispatch as the man drove westbound toward State Street.
About a half hour later, Diederich said, a man spotted the crying toddler near 1000 S. State Street, couldn’t find the mom and called police.
“Mom was elated and very happy,” Diederich said. “We are very fortunate to make sure this child was found.”
As of late Thursday, officers had found neither the minivan nor the suspect.
The minivan was described as a light green or gray 2001 Honda Odyssey with Utah license plate number W054VG.
Police were also circulating surveillance images of a man they described as a person of interest in the case.
He appeared to be balding in front and was wearing black clothing and white and black sneakers.
Anyonewith information about the person-of-interest or the whereabouts of the minivan was asked to call Salt Lake City Police Department at 801-799-3000.
- Kirstie Alley, Emmy-winning ‘Cheers’ star, dies at 71 (pageviews: 23761)
- Hunter High shooter gets juvenile detention for killing 2 students; case now closed (pageviews: 6035)
- Two dead after crashing into parked truck (pageviews: 5428)
- Family, friends remember Utah Tech freshman as 'the life of the party' (pageviews: 5364)
- ‘It’s kind of an eerie feeling;’ Utah man living in Hawaii witnesses Mauna Loa eruption - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4461)
- Utah Tech student dead after accidentally falling from balcony (pageviews: 3951)