Morgan County Rescuers Warn of High, Dangerous Waters in Weber River
MORGAN COUNTY, Utah – Flood stage-level waters in the Weber River are drawing concern among volunteer members of the Swift Water Rescue team, in Morgan County.
Captain Eric Turner says people should stay out of the river until things calm down.
“Right now that river is still rising, it is still coming up,” Turner said. “It’s hard to negotiate that, because the conditions on the river change hour(ly), daily.”
Turner says a family of five lost their raft Tuesday afternoon, as it collided with a pile of logs and branches, and deflated.
“Two of them were able to get out onto the debris in the middle of the river,” Turner explained. “The third one ended up on the opposite bank of the river, and three of the family ended up getting out on the right side of the river.”
Rescue team members used rafts to the family members to safety. No one was hurt. Turner says the area where the family got caught was just south of Henefer.
“It’s extremely technical in that stretch of the river,” Turner said. “You really have to know what you’re doing in order to be on that section of river.”
Turner says the family was wearing life-jackets, but were not prepared for the flood-stage waters. Even as the waters recede however, he says people looking to float the river, should always wear a life-jacket, shoes that will not fall off, and avoid being under the influence of alcohol.
- Antibody Testing Shows Many Utahns Had COVID-19 But Did Not Know It (pageviews: 20182)
- Three People Seriously Injured After Falling At Stewart Falls (pageviews: 9674)
- Three-Year-Old Child Drowns In Residential Pool In St. George (pageviews: 9639)
- Cache County Woman Dies Of COVID-19; State Total At 98 (pageviews: 7686)
- Woman Killed After Meeting Suspect On Tinder In Layton (pageviews: 7627)
- White Woman Apologizes After Calling Police On Black Man Saying He Was Threatening Her Life (pageviews: 5371)
- Four Minneapolis Officers Fired After Death Of Black Man (pageviews: 5158)
- Thousands Of Boats Inspected For Invasive Mussels Over Holiday Weekend (pageviews: 5055)
- Lawmakers Want VA To Remove Swastika From Gravestone At Utah Cemetery (pageviews: 4454)
- Woman Talks About Close Encounter With Tinder Murder Suspect (pageviews: 4235)