South Jordan Landmark Still Swinging After 25 Years
SOUTH JORDAN, Utah – A South Jordan landmark is still swinging after 25 years. Mulligans Golf and Games had its grand re-opening on Monday, four years after the popular venue’s future was uncertain.
“It’s the only place in town for batting cages that I know of,” Alan Rogers said.
For as long as his grandkids have been swinging, Rogers has been coming to Mulligans Golf and Games.
“So this is a good place to warm them up before the game.”
Swings have kept the local landmark running for 25 years. The city purchased it in 2005, but in 2014 Mulligans was at the center of a debate over whether to preserve the fun or change it to a mixed-use development.
“That would have been a travesty,” Rogers said.
“There was some interest in development in the area and that caused a lot of discussions in the community,” said Spencer Kyle, director of administration services for South Jordan. “But ultimately our city council decided to really reinvest in Mulligans and make sure it sticks around.”
On Thursday, Mayor Dawn Ramsey cut the ribbon for a new and improved clubhouse and restaurant that now stand as a testament to South Jordan’s commitment to keep the center moving.
“We are thrilled to have had the cash to be able to pay for this,” Mayor Ramsey said during the grand re-opening ceremony.
And Thursday’s ceremony marks just the beginning of changes coming to Mulligans’ 67 acres. The city says the next makeover will be the mini golf course.
“I’m glad they kept it because it’s nice to be able to do stuff like this here,” Jen Clevenger said. She visited the center with her sons for the first time on Thursday.
The city says about 185,000 visitors come through here each year.
And for people like Rogers, the best part will always be watching his posterity take a swing.
- Slain Enoch girl texted friend that dad was acting strange and she was worried (pageviews: 14110)
- UPDATE: Three in custody after shots fired at Taylorsville High School, police said - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 13553)
- Body found inside limestone kiln in Salt Lake City foothills (pageviews: 8491)
- UPDATE: Three in custody after shots fired at Taylorsville High School, police said (pageviews: 7883)
- BREAKING: Shots fired at Taylorsville High School (pageviews: 7144)
- BREAKING: Shots fired at Taylorsville High School - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5583)