Busiest Travel Days Of Summer Begin With 2 Fatal Crashes
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – The days leading up to Independence Day are some of the busiest travel days of the summer, and they’re already off to a deadly start.
Police confirmed two fatal incidents on Utah roads late Tuesday, one of which involved a motorcycle crash in Layton.
Layton Police Sgt. Scott Clarke said a motorcyclist traveling at a high rate of speed collided with a passenger car at the intersection of Main Street and Antelope Drive at approximately 8:45 p.m.
Thee motorcyclist died at the scene. The driver of the car, a mother, sustained major injuries and was transported to the University of Utah Hospital. The passengers in the vehicle, her children, sustained minor injuries.
The second fatal incident was an auto-pedestrian crash in West Valley City.
A vehicle struck a man crossing the street near 3500 South and Redwood Road, and the pedestrian died almost instantly, officials said.
The man, who is in his 50s, was found lying in the street with no pulse, according to West Valley City Police Lt. Bill Merritt. Authorities pronounced him dead at the scene.
Investigators said he was not crossing in a designated area. The driver is cooperating with the investigation and will not be cited, Merritt said.
“It looks like this is nothing more than just a very unfortunate accident,” he said.
- Church opening six new missions in 2023 (pageviews: 12259)
- Here is a list of stores open on Thanksgiving day for that last-minute ingredient - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 7066)
- Utah deputies identify suspect in 1972 murder, rape case; still looking for second suspect (pageviews: 6499)
- EXCLUSIVE: Man takes woman hostage on flight to SLC, Good Samaritan steps in (pageviews: 5989)
- Utahn charged with assault after allegedly holding blade to woman's throat on flight (pageviews: 5264)
- Utah man buys humidifier found with five packages of cocaine in it (pageviews: 5001)
- Two injured in I-80 crash; several crashes reported as Thanksgiving travel picks up (pageviews: 4528)