Salt Lake City Fire Crews’ Quick Response Keeps Garage Fire From Spreading
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Crews were able to quickly extinguish an early-morning fire in a detached garage, but officials are using the incident to remind everyone that fire dangers are high — especially as people celebrate Pioneer Day with fireworks.
The fire started in the area of 959 West and Fremont Avenue, according to the Salt Lake City Fire Department. No civilians were hurt, but one firefighter did sustain a minor injury.
Officials said the crew member injured an ankle and was transported to the hospital.
— Felicia Martinez (@FeliciaNews) July 24, 2019
SLCFD Chief Darren Baum said crews were able to contain the fire to the structure. He said there may have been people living inside the garage, but they evacuated before firefighters arrived. Several surrounding residences were briefly evacuated as a precaution.
“We were able to get a quick response here on scene, with water on the fire within the first four minutes from the time we were dispatched,” he said.
He said the cause of the fire is currently unknown, but investigators are on scene.
“This is the time of the year when our temperatures are at the highest,” Baum said. “Wild land fuels are extremely dried out. We want to remind everybody, not just with wild land fires, but also with any type of wood products, as hot as it gets this time of year, be careful with any type of flame or sparks.”
- Burger King is returning the Whopper to its original price (pageviews: 5718)
- First case of COVID-19 omicron variant confirmed in Utah (pageviews: 5404)
- Police are searching for the parents of the Michigan high school shooting suspect after they are charged with involuntary manslaughter (pageviews: 3904)
- ‘I thought I could save him’: Family of man killed in police shootout tried to persuade him to surrender (pageviews: 3360)
- KSL Give-A-Thon (pageviews: 2991)
- Burger King is returning the Whopper to its original price – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 2850)
- Man killed in Taylorsville standoff was shot by police four years earlier (pageviews: 2605)
- Suspect’s parents charged in Michigan school shooting (pageviews: 2428)
- Missionary in stable condition after being shot at basketball activity (pageviews: 2089)