Child Hit, Killed Riding Bike In Weber County Crash
PLAIN CITY, Utah – An 8-year-old child was hit and killed by a car while riding a bike in an unincorporated part of western Weber County.
The incident happened around 3:30 p.m. Thursday near 900 North 4400 West, just south of Plain City.
Lieutenant Courtney Ryan with the Weber County Sheriff’s Office said the crash was under investigation, but it appeared to be an unfortunate accident.
Speed limit signs on the small, rural road were showed a limit of 25 miles per hour, though investigators said speed did not appear to be a factor in the crash.
Lt. Ryan said the road had no sidewalks or shoulders.
The child’s identity was not released.
Gage May, age 14, lives across from where the incident happened. He was riding his bike just up the road when the boy was hit. He didn’t know the boy personally but said he would often see him in the area when the boy came up to visit his grandfather who lives nearby.
“It made me feel sad and everything. It made me feel really bad, because this kid had a long life to live at eight years old,” May said,
The child was pronounced deceased at the scene.
The crash was still under investigation. Lt. Ryan said the driver was cooperating with detectives.
Officials expected to release additional details in the coming days.
The roadway was closed while officials conducted their investigation.
- Utah's Peter Sinks reaches -62 Monday; Why does it get so cold? (pageviews: 13464)
- Two employees dead at Northrop Grumman Magna facility (pageviews: 10146)
- Utah’s Peter Sinks reaches -62 Monday; Why does it get so cold? - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 10091)
- Utah truck driver arrested in California cold case from 1994 (pageviews: 6951)
- Utah correctional officer assaulted by inmate at state prison (pageviews: 5445)
- Two employees dead at Northrop Grumman Magna facility - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5414)
- Coldest temperature in the US Monday recorded in Peter Sinks, Utah (pageviews: 4793)