Tempers Flare Over Redwood Road Gridlock In Saratoga Springs
SARATOGA SPRINGS, Utah – Road construction in Utah County caused significant delays Thursday as motorists and school buses waited an hour – or longer – just to move a few miles.
“It was total frustration,” said Saratoga Springs resident Darci Brainich. “It was just so many cars — so many cars.”
Lane restrictions at 2100 North caused Redwood Road to backup past Utah Lake. The gridlock spread to nearby streets and intersections as drivers from Saratoga Springs and Eagle Mountain headed to work and school.
“We were all late to work by hours,” said Darwin McKee, adding that his commute to I-15 took five times longer than normal. “We were sitting in traffic for a long, long time.”
Alpine School District confirmed to KSL that buses in the area were delayed between 40-to-90 minutes, with some students missing the entire first period of middle school and high school.
“I don’t think they realize how many people they affect,” Brainich said.
Overnight, construction workers switched the intersection of 2100 North and Redwood Road from temporary traffic lights to permanent signals as part of the ongoing construction of the Mountain View Corridor. The Utah Department of Transportation said a malfunction prevented crews from opening the lanes.
“Generally we try to have those lanes open again in time for the morning commute,” said UDOT spokesperson John Gleason. “Unfortunately it was just something that couldn’t be prevented this morning.”
Afterward, frustrated drivers and Saratoga Springs called on UDOT to do a better job communicating.
“What we had was a breakdown in communication,” said Saratoga Springs spokesperson David Johnson.
Saratoga Springs posted on social media that it has repeatedly asked UDOT to avoid interruptions during rush hour, especially during the start of the school year. The city advised residents to call UDOT to “help push the message home.”
UDOT said it is working with the contractor of the project to review procedures and make sure the delays don’t happen again.
- Mother Of Missing Idaho Children Arrested In Hawaii (pageviews: 14597)
- Mother Of Missing Idaho Children Arrested In Hawaii (pageviews: 14313)
- Utah Teen Shot, Left For Dead Three Years Ago Raising Money For Prosthetic Arm (pageviews: 11661)
- Payson Hit-&-Run Driver Turns Himself In After Striking 9-Year-Old (pageviews: 7293)
- Dirty Dining? KSL Investigators Look Into Popular Salt Lake Restaurant Rankings (pageviews: 5838)
- California Prisoner Confesses To Killing 2 Child Molesters, Says He 'Did Everybody A Favor' (pageviews: 5805)
- Police: Body Found In Pipe Near Target In Salt Lake City 'Suspicious' (pageviews: 5342)
- Investigators Issue Amber Alert For 15-Month-Old Tennessee Girl Not Seen Since December (pageviews: 5081)
- 2-Year-Old Boy Hugs Pizza Delivery Guy, Not Knowing He Just Lost His Daughter (pageviews: 4752)