Romney, Health Officials To Address Vaping-Related Injuries, Deaths
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Republican Sen. Mitt Romney is tackling the issue of vaping-related illnesses and deaths with a roundtable discussion Thursday at Primary Children’s Hospital.
The discussion, being held at 10:30 a.m., will include local health experts who have been handling cases of the illness in the Beehive State.
Officials will update the public on anti-vaping efforts in Utah, discuss legislative efforts, and solicit further recommendations for action on a federal level, according to a statement issued by Romney’s office.
The Utah Department of Health on Wednesday announced a Utah resident died as a result of the illness. It was the first vaping-related death reported in the state.
There have been nearly 20 such deaths nationwide. Officials believe the deaths are linked to an ingredient added to black market THC cartridges, although one specific brand or ingredient has not yet been identified.
The UDOH has reported 76 cases of vaping-related lung injuries in Utah with another 14 potential cases under investigation. More than 90% of those afflicted were hospitalized, and 94% of cases self-reported vaping THC products.
The Salt Lake County resident who died was younger than 30, health authorities said, and didn’t seek medical attention.
The symptoms include vomiting, nausea, diarrhea and breathing problems. Authorities are advising anyone who uses e-cigarette products and is experiencing these symptoms to seek medical attention immediately.
- Mother Of Missing Idaho Children Arrested In Hawaii (pageviews: 14597)
- Mother Of Missing Idaho Children Arrested In Hawaii (pageviews: 14313)
- Utah Teen Shot, Left For Dead Three Years Ago Raising Money For Prosthetic Arm (pageviews: 11661)
- Payson Hit-&-Run Driver Turns Himself In After Striking 9-Year-Old (pageviews: 7293)
- Dirty Dining? KSL Investigators Look Into Popular Salt Lake Restaurant Rankings (pageviews: 5838)
- California Prisoner Confesses To Killing 2 Child Molesters, Says He 'Did Everybody A Favor' (pageviews: 5805)
- Police: Body Found In Pipe Near Target In Salt Lake City 'Suspicious' (pageviews: 5342)
- Investigators Issue Amber Alert For 15-Month-Old Tennessee Girl Not Seen Since December (pageviews: 5081)
- 2-Year-Old Boy Hugs Pizza Delivery Guy, Not Knowing He Just Lost His Daughter (pageviews: 4752)