Sheriff’s Office K-9 Unit Killed After Running Into Traffic
FARMINGTON, Utah – A K-9 unit with the Davis County Sheriff’s Office has been killed after running into traffic.
Officials said the incident happened Wednesday around 7:15 p.m. while the dog’s handler was stopped at the sheriff’s office at 800 West State Street in Farmington.
They said the six-and-a-half-year-old dog, named Chopper, somehow got out of the deputy’s truck kennel and ran into live traffic on State Street.
Just in:Sad day for Davis County Sheriff’s office… Chopper the K-9 died after running into traffic and getting hit by a car . So sorry this happened. @KSL5TV @DavisSheriffUT pic.twitter.com/EwTtb5eSzu
— Dan Rascon (@TVDanRascon) November 21, 2019
The impact killed the dog instantly.
“We are devastated by the tragic loss of Chopper,” said Sheriff Kelly Sparks. “Our K-9s are family and they work side-by-side with our deputies, day in and day out, to fulfill our mission and duty to serve the public. His death impacts all of us.”
According to a release issued by the sheriff’s office, Chopper was trained in “drug detection, tracking, deputy protection, building and area searches, and the apprehension of suspects.”
Officials were working on the details for a line-of-duty memorial service.
- Broadway Actor Nick Cordero Dies At 41 After Battle With COVID-19 (pageviews: 9890)
- Utah Teen Hospitalized, Battling Severe COVID-19 Symptoms (pageviews: 8901)
- Family Speaks Out After Daughter Was Allegedly Shot, Killed By Estranged Husband (pageviews: 7509)
- Gephardt: COVID-19 Causing Coin Shortage For Utah Retailers, Banks (pageviews: 5095)
- U Of U Researchers Discover Impacts Of COVID-19 On Blood (pageviews: 4517)
- Multiple New Fires Start Amid Fourth Of July Celebrations (pageviews: 4215)
- Black Lives Matter Billboard Vandalized In Draper (pageviews: 3513)
- State Reports 6 New Deaths, 517 New COVID-19 Cases (pageviews: 3283)
- Four Dead After Small Plane Crashes In Utah County (pageviews: 3134)