Authorities Arrest Suspect In 37-Year-Old Cold Case Murder In Salt Lake City
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Officials got a major break in a 37-year-old Utah cold case, and a suspect in Nebraska is now in custody.
South Sioux City, Nebraska, police arrested Bryan Reed, 55, after he reportedly admitted to his role in the 1982 murder of Wilhelmina Reid, 72.
According to police reports from the case, Reid was beaten and sexually assaulted during a burglary inside her Salt Lake City apartment.
A joint investigation between the Salt Lake City Police Department and the South Sioux City Police Department led to Reed’s arrest. Authorities said he was 17 years old at the time of the crime and then moved out of Utah shortly afterward.
In 2018, detectives from Utah traveled to Nebraska to interview Reed about the murder. At the same time, SSCPD served a search warrant and collected Reed’s DNA. Investigators were able to match link Reed to the crime through DNA and fingerprints.
When officials presented the evidence to Reed, he reportedly admitted to the crime.
He is set to be extradited back to Utah.
- Man Dies After Being Ejected From Truck During Rollover Crash In Bluffdale (pageviews: 5048)
- Convicted Kearns Sex Offender Charged With Human Trafficking (pageviews: 5047)
- CDC: Schools Should Have Plan For Angry Parents, Face Mask Bullying (pageviews: 4785)
- Gephardt: 'Brushing' Scams Sweeping Utah (pageviews: 4552)
- AMC Is Reopening Its Theaters Next Week - And Tickets Are 15 Cents (pageviews: 4266)
- Alpine School District Teachers Rally For Safety Days Before Start Of School Year (pageviews: 4175)
- Authorities Identify Woman Found Deceased In Submerged Car Near Logan (pageviews: 3456)
- Gephardt: How A Side Hustle Became A Full-time Gig For Utah Adventurers (pageviews: 3228)
- Herriman To Host Nation's First High School Football Game (pageviews: 2539)