HEALTH

Flu Vaccine Mismatch Doesn’t Mean It’s Not Effective, Health Officials Say

Jan 14, 2020, 9:29 PM | Updated: 9:39 pm

SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – This year’s flu vaccine is not a very good match for influenza B, according to data from the CDC, but an influenza specialist at Primary Children’s Hospital said the vaccine can still save your child’s life.

Flu analyses by the CDC showed the vaccine may not be as well matched genetically to the virus as they had hoped in fighting influenza B. However, that does not necessarily mean it doesn’t protect as well.

“We know a lot of people are getting sick with the flu. So, now is a really good time to take action,” said Keegan McCaffrey, an influenza epidemiologist with the Utah Department of Health.

He said the flu season is intensifying in Utah but officials have seen a normal level of hospitalizations, so far.

According to CDC data, there’s a 58% chance the vaccine is genetically well-matched to the influenza B virus, leaving a 42% chance that it’s not.

Influenza B represents about two-thirds of Utah cases, McCaffrey said.

“It’s why influenza surveillance is important,” he said. “We’ve been tracking this new B virus for the last couple of years, and this is the first time that we’ve seen it really spreading in Utah, in the U.S.”

“The flu shot is not a perfect vaccine,” said Dr. Andrew Pavia with University of Utah Health and Primary Children’s Hospital. “So, people will always be at some risk of getting flu even if they’ve had the vaccine.”

Pavia, chief of Pediatric Diseases at Primary Children’s Hospital, has extensive experience with the influenza virus and said the mismatch in genetics is not the same as a mismatch in protection.

“We’re concerned that this year’s efficacy may not be as good as it is in previous years,” Pavia said. “Even if it were really good protection, influenza B can be very dangerous and children.”

Officials said they’ll know more about how effective the vaccine is next month.

“We know that it’s not a total mismatch from the shot, and we know that the shot is still the best way to protect yourself,” McCaffrey said.

“The flu shot is like a seatbelt,” Pavia said. “It isn’t going to protect you against every crash in every circumstance. But, it reduces your chances of dying, or being severely injured with (the) flu.”

To protect yourself, and those around you: get a flu shot, stay home if you’re sick, and call your doctor if you do get sick.

KSL 5 TV Live

Top Stories

Health

Utah Capitol in Salt Lake City is pictured on Sunday, Sept. 11, 2022. (Scott G Winterton, Deseret N...
Michael Houck

Abortion providers are undeterred after receiving Republican signed cease-and-desist letters

Physicians and abortion providers say the Utah GOP group’s cease-and-desist letter has no real legal standing.
4 days ago
Doctors at Huntsman Cancer Institute have conducted trials for PARP inhibitors to treat ovarian can...
Jed Boal

Drug trial is helping Utah woman beat back ovarian cancer

In the past, women with advanced ovarian cancer did not have a good chance of living five years past diagnosis.
4 days ago
It's almost time to hunt ducks in Utah. (Bridger Felter, Utah Division of Wildlife Resources)...
Brooke Williams

Avian flu may threaten birds and dogs this hunting season

SALT LAKE CITY — Avian influenza is threatening many species of birds across Utah. The Division of Wildlife Resources cautions hunters to be careful in their practice this season with tips to keep them and their hunting dogs safe. The virus is highly contagious and causes a high mortality among domestic birds like ducks and […]
4 days ago
WASHINGTON, DC - AUGUST 05: Residents wait in line at a DC Health location administering the monkey...
Sydnee Gonzalez, KSL.com

Monkeypox affecting Latino and Pacific Islander Utahns disproportionately

Monkeypox is impacting Latino and Pacific Islander Utahns at a disproportionate rate.
5 days ago
...
Eliza Pace

BYU study shows wearing pedometer increases step count, even without looking at it

PROVO, Utah — A new study found an easy way to increase daily step count: just clip on a pedometer. The study, done by Brigham Young University, shows that wearing a pedometer increases step count, even if users don’t look at it throughout the day. “Humans are hardwired to respond to what is being measured […]
5 days ago
(KSL TV)...
Karah Brackin

Bountiful school installs new water system after lead scare

Over the summer, St. Olaf Catholic School tested its drinking water as they do every year. This time, though, tests came back showing signs of lead in the water.
5 days ago

Sponsored Articles

young woman with stickers on laptop computer...
Les Olson

7 ways print marketing materials can boost your business

Custom print marketing materials are a great way to leave an impression on clients or customers. Read for a few ideas to spread the word about your product or company.
young woman throwing clothes to organize a walk in closet...
Lighting Design

How to organize your walk-in closet | 7 easy tips to streamline your storage today

Read our tips to learn how to organize your walk-in closet for more storage space. These seven easy tips can help you get the most out of your space.
Types of Computer Malware and Examples...
PC Laptops

5 Nasty Types of Computer Malware and Examples | Everything You Need to Know to Keep Your Computer and Family Safe

Here are the different types of computer malware and examples that could potentially infect your computer.
tips how to quit smoking...

7 Tips How to Quit Smoking | Quitting Smoking Might be One of the Hardest Things You Ever Do but Here’s Where You Can Start

Quitting smoking cigarettes can be incredibly difficult. Here are 7 tips how to quit smoking to help you on your quitting journey.
Photo: Storyblocks...
Blue Stakes of Utah 811

Blue Stakes of Utah 811: 5 Reasons To Call 811 Before You Dig When Working in Your Yard

Call before you dig. Even at home, you could end up with serious injuries or broken utilities just because you didn't call Blue Stakes of Utah 811.
Days of...
Days of '47 Rodeo

TRIVIA: How well do you know your rodeo? Take this quiz before you go to the Days of ’47!

The Utah Days of ’47 Rodeo presented by Zions Bank is a one-of-a-kind Gold Medal Rodeo being held July 20-23, 25 at 7:30 PM. The Days of ’47 Rodeo How well do you know your rodeo trivia? Take the quiz to test your know-all before heading out to the Days of ’47 Rodeo at the […]
Flu Vaccine Mismatch Doesn’t Mean It’s Not Effective, Health Officials Say