Juvenile In Custody After Four Killed, One Injured In Grantsville Shooting
GRANTSVILLE, Utah – Four people were killed and another person injured after a shooting in Grantsville. Police said the suspect in custody was a juvenile.
The incident occurred around 7 p.m. Friday on Eastmoor Drive near 700 East and Main Street, according to officials with the Grantsville City Police Department.
The cause and circumstances surrounding the shooting were not available.
Police spokesperson Rhonda Fields said the suspect was under the age of 18. Officials said there was no further risk to the public.
“It is believed that all parties involved are family members,” Fields said.
On Saturday, officials confirmed three of the victims were children – two girls and one boy – and said the names of the victims could be released next week.
Neighbor Laurie Bahe said she had known the family for at least 10 years.
“I’m just in shock that it happened and very sorry,” she said. “Sorry for our neighbors that knew them really well and are having a tough time with it.”
Bahe spoke fondly of the family’s members, saying they were extremely helpful and kind to everyone.
“People probably hear it on the news and think, what was that family like?” she said. “But they were a really really nice family and it’s just shocking that it happened.”
Utah Governor Gary Herbert tweeted about the incident, expressing condolences for the victims and saying the Department of Public Safety and DPS State Crime Lab will assist local law enforcement with the investigation.
“Our hearts are broken by the horrible news coming out Grantsville tonight,” Herbert said. “We mourn over the loss of innocent lives.”
Herbert also encouraged parents and grandparents to secure their firearms.
Parents and grandparents, secure your firearms! Everyone, hug your loved ones tight. And remember love, not hate, will heal broken individuals and families.
— Gov. Gary Herbert (@GovHerbert) January 18, 2020
Officials with the Tooele County School District said counseling services will be available in schools throughout the district when classes resume on Tuesday.
- Police: Missing 4-Year-Old Hurricane Boy Found Dead Inside Home (pageviews: 9916)
- Police: Missing 4-Year-Old Hurricane Boy Found Dead Inside Home – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5751)
- Park City Fire Chief Dead After UTV Crash During Oregon Vacation (pageviews: 5201)
- Hydrologist Reveals How Much Summer Storms Actually Help Utah's Drought (pageviews: 4135)
- Hydrologist Reveals How Much Summer Storms Actually Help Utah’s Drought – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3339)
- Family Rescued From Capsized Boat During Storm On Bear Lake (pageviews: 3156)
- Family Rescued From Capsized Boat During Storm On Bear Lake – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 2353)
- No. Tooele Police Investigating After Fireworks Damage Parts Of Neighborhood – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 2187)
- Live (pageviews: 1925)