What You Need To Know About Narcan Or Naloxone
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Utah has ranked in the Top 10 nationwide for overdose deaths over the last 10 years, according to the Utah Department of Health.
Between 2013-2015, Utah ranked seventh in the U.S. for drug poisoning deaths, which have outpaced deaths due to firearms, falls and motor vehicle crashes.
The KSL+ Team talked with Tiffani King, who helped save a man’s life with a naloxone kit last month.
“It’s important to carry it,” King said, speaking of the naloxone kit. “And also, it’s important to care enough to stop and use it if you have to.”
Overdose Fast Facts
- Narcan and naloxone are the same thing — Narcan is the brand name, naloxone is the generic name.
- Naloxone immediately pulls someone overdosing on opioids out of the overdose.
- It is available as a nasal spray or an injectable.
- Most groups that hand out kits for free hand out the injectable naloxone because it is more cost-effective.
- You can get the nasal spray at a pharmacy without a prescription or by contacting your local health department, but you may need to pay.
Where To Get A Kit
- Any Salt Lake County Library branch
Where To Get More Information Or Training On How To Use Your Kit
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 7743)
- ‘They’re all in imminent danger’: Video shows violence after Utah prison allowed gangs to mingle (pageviews: 7192)
- Hiker with flip-flops grateful to be alive after fall at Bridal Veil Falls – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6691)
- St. George grandma pregnant, carrying son’s baby after his wife’s hysterectomy (pageviews: 3418)
- World record for longest long-range rifle shot broken Tuesday – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 3153)
- World record for longest long-range rifle shot broken Tuesday (pageviews: 2768)