Utah Grocery Stores Offer Senior Shopping Hours
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Several grocery stores in Utah have begun senior shopping hours to help those most vulnerable to the novel coronavirus. It’s believed that most people who contract the virus would have only mild symptoms, but those over the age of 60 have been considered “high-risk” for suffering the most severe symptoms.
In an effort to keep the virus from spreading, stores that offer food and other essentials have altered their operating hours. This gives workers the chance to deep clean the store and return home to spend time with their own families.
Many stores have set aside time periods for those over the age of 60 and other immunocompromised individuals to shop when stores are less busy, and it’s easier to practice social distancing. The following is a list of some of the stores in Utah, and their senior shopping details.
Several Utah stores are offering "senior-only" hours, when those over the age of 60 can shop for the essentials, while still practicing social distancing.
— KSL 5 TV (@KSL5TV) April 1, 2020
At a minimum, the company will reserve every Tuesday and Thursday from 7 to 9 a.m. for those vulnerable shoppers who must leave home to obtain their groceries, unless otherwise locally mandated. Customers should check their store’s hours if they’re opening on a different schedule.
- Senior-only hours: Tuesdays & Thursdays, 7-9 a.m.
- Locations: local.albertsons.com
- Additional details: AlbertsonsCompanies.com
Big Lots has reserved the first hour of shopping each day to senior citizens and anyone who is at high risk or is immunocompromised.
- Senior-only hours: First hour of shopping
- Locations: local.biglots.com
- Additional details: BigLots.com
On Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays, Costco warehouses will open from 8 to 9 a.m. for members ages 60 and older, and for those with physical impairments. During this early hour, the pharmacy will be open, but the Costco Food Court will not.
- Senior-only hours: Tuesdays, Wednesdays & Thursdays, 8-9 a.m.
- Locations: costco.com/warehouse-locations
- Additional details: Costco.com/covid-updates
Dollar General locations nationwide have designated the first hour of shopping at each location as senior store hours.
- Senior-only hours: First hour of shopping
- Locations: Dollar General Store Locator
- Additional details: newscenter.dollargeneral.com
Fresh Market has 12 locations in Salt Lake, Utah, Davis, Weber and Summit Counties. They have designated Monday through Saturday, from 8-9 a.m. as senior shopping hours for all locations except Jeremy Ranch and Park City. For senior shopping hours according to location check here.
- Senior-only hours: Everyday, 8-9 a.m.
- Locations: FreshMarketStores.com
- Additional details: FreshMarketStores.com
Harmons will be open on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 7 to 8 a.m. exclusively to serve the elderly, disabled, and immunocompromised members of our community. In addition, Harmons pharmacies will be open on Wednesdays from 7 to 8 a.m. to assist them with any special needs they may have.
- Senior-only hours: Mondays, Wednesdays & Fridays, 7-8 a.m.
- Locations: HarmonsGrocery.com/locations
- Additional details: HarmonsGrocery.com/coronavirus-faqs
Kents Market has five locations in Box Elder, Davis and Weber Counties.
- Senior-only hours: Everyday, 6-9 a.m.
- Locations: KentsGrocery.com/all
- Additional details: KentsGrocery.com
All Maceys locations will open for seniors, age 60 and up, one hour of shopping prior to the normal store hours.
- Senior-only hours: Mondays through Saturdays, 8-9 a.m. and 9-10 a.m. on Sundays, depending on location.
- Locations: Maceys.com
- Additional details: Maceys.com/covid, Senior Shopping Hour
Stores will open their doors on Sundays from 9 to 10 a.m., exclusively for seniors age 60 and older, pregnant women and people with underlying medical conditions.
- Senior-only hours: Sundays, 9-10 a.m.
- Locations: NaturalGrocers.com/store-directory
- Additional details: NaturalGrocers.com/coronavirus-updates
Reams Food Stores
Store hours have been changed to allow workers to clean the store and restock the shelves. The store will open to seniors (those over the age of 60) on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, and hour before the stores open.
- Senior-only hours: Mondays, Wednesdays & Fridays, 8-9 a.m.
- Locations: ReamsFood.com/locations
- Additional details: Posted on their Facebook page
Ridley’s Family Markets
Ridley’s Family Markets has designated 6-7 a.m. on Mondays and Wednesdays as their senior shopping hours. The hour is open to seniors and their caretakers only.
- Senior-only hours: Mondays & Wednesdays, 6-7 a.m.
- Locations: ShopRidleys.com
One hour a day has been designated as shopping time exclusive for seniors or those with a weakened immune system.
- Senior-only hours: Everyday 9-10 a.m.
- Locations: locations.riteaid.com
- Additional details: RiteAid.com
Starting Thursday, March 26, Sam’s Club locations nationwide will offer early shopping hours every Tuesday and Thursday from 7 a.m. to 9 a.m. for seniors and those with disabilities or compromised immune systems. This includes the pharmacy and optical centers.
- Senior-only hours: Tuesdays & Thursdays, 7-9 a.m. Seniors may shop from their cars.
- Locations: samsclub.com
- Additional details: corporate.samsclub.com
Smiths Food & Drug
Smith’s Food & Drug Stores will dedicate the first hour on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 7 to 8 am, solely to the shopping needs of senior citizens until further notice. Each store will have staff on hand to help those that need special accommodations. For all other customers, temporary store hours will continue to be 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. until further notice. In addition, Smith’s is evaluating extending pharmacy hours to open earlier for seniors.
- Senior-only hours: Mondays, Wednesdays & Fridays 7-8 a.m.
- Locations: SmithsFoodAndDrug.com/stores
- Additional details: SmithsFoodAndDrug.com
“Some customers have asked about special shopping hours for elderly guests. We’re dedicated to serving our customers during this unprecedented time and have given a great deal of consideration to this matter. Special shopping hours can result in long entry lines and crowding, which conflicts with social distancing recommendations for the elderly and at-risk groups. To best serve everyone in our communities, we’ve invested in more staffing to maintain our focus on customer service and to provide a clean and safe shopping environment. We’re also implementing new checkout measures that encourage customers to maintain a healthy distance from one another, and also installing plexiglass barriers to reduce contact with team members.”
Target will reserve the first hour of shopping each Wednesday at stores nationwide for vulnerable guests – including elderly and those with underlying health concerns.
- Senior-only hours: First hour of shopping on Wednesdays
- Locations: target.com
- Additional details: corporate.target.com
Beginning March 30th, our stores will dedicate the first hour of operation every day (in general, between 8AM and 9AM) to serve our senior customers over the age of 60 and disabled customers who may need additional assistance while shopping. To find the hours for your store, please visit our locations page.
- Senior-only hours: First hour of daily shopping
- Locations: TraderJoes.com/stores
- Additional details: TraderJoes.com
Walgreens will be open 8-9 am every Tuesday for seniors. They also encourage using drive-thru services during normal hours.
- Senior-only hours: Tuesdays, 8-9 a.m.
- Locations: Walgreens.com/storelocator
- Additional details: Walgreens.com
From March 24 to April 28, Walmart stores will host a senior shopping hour every Tuesday for customers age 60 and older who may be more vulnerable. This will start one hour before the store opens. Our pharmacies and vision centers will also be open during this time.
- Senior-only hours: Tuesdays, First hour of shopping
- Locations: Walmart.com
- Additional details: corporate.walmart.com
All Whole Foods Market stores will service customers who are 60+ years old one hour before opening the store to the general public.
- Senior-only hours: Every day, 8-9 a.m.
- Locations: WholeFoodsMarket.com
- Additional details: WholeFoodsMarket.com
Stores have been operating under temporary hours, from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, the store will open at 6 a.m., and operate for seniors, vulnerable populations and WinCo employees only.
- Dental records prove remains found in Florida are those of Brian Laundrie, boyfriend to Gabby Petito (pageviews: 13583)
- Parents of 6-year-old girl killed on Colorado amusement park ride file wrongful death suit (pageviews: 6751)
- Warrant: Baldwin didn't know weapon contained live round (pageviews: 6531)
- Strong probability that suspected remains found in Florida park are Brian Laundrie's, family attorney says (pageviews: 5863)
- Recall: Red, white and yellow whole onions identified as source of salmonella outbreak (pageviews: 4632)
- Sheriff: Baldwin fired prop gun that killed cinematographer (pageviews: 4318)
- SLC IT employee arrested after allegedly providing undercover police data to human trafficker (pageviews: 3714)
- Sheriff: Baldwin fired shot on movie set that killed woman (pageviews: 3468)
- Utah teen girl arrested for planning mass casualty event at school (pageviews: 3382)