Saddle Fire Burns 200 Acres Near Midway; Juvenile Suspect In Custody
MIDWAY, Utah – The Saddle Fire has burned around 200 acres north of Midway and was 5% contained, according to Wasatch County Fire officials.
Firefighters responded to the blaze Tuesday afternoon and said it was human-caused.
This was the fourth fire reported in the Interlaken and Dutch Hollow area this week and police said their investigation was ongoing.
“We’re concerned this is happening and we want to investigate it thoroughly,” said Janet Carson with Wasatch County Fire.
Officials with the Wasatch County Sheriff’s Office said a juvenile suspect had been taken into custody in connection to the fires.
“We appreciate those who assisted in alerting us to the suspicious activity and the quick work of the law enforcement officers and dispatchers that ultimately resulted in the apprehension of the suspect,” officials said. “This investigation is ongoing. If anyone has information pertaining to this case, please call our tip line at 435-654-WCSO.”
Wasatch County Sheriff's Office officials called the #SaddleFire suspicious and late Tuesday announced a juvenile had been apprehended in connection to the recent fires near the Interlaken and Pine Canyon areas, north of Midway.
The fire is 200+ acres and 5% contained. #FFSLkw
— Utah Fire Info (@UtahWildfire) May 13, 2020
Several homes in the area were evacuated as a precaution and crews reported high winds in the area. Firefighters said the blaze was burning away from structures.
Engine crews and a bulldozer were on scene and additional resources had been called in to fight the fire.
Kait Webb with the Utah Division of Forestry, Fire and State Lands said a drone intrusion was reported and reminded the public it is illegal to fly drones near wildfires.
A drone intrusion has been reported on the #SaddleFire. Drones are illegal to fly near a wildfire, they can pose significant risk to our firefighters and their suppression efforts. pic.twitter.com/pWVikzpmks
— Utah Fire Info (@UtahWildfire) May 12, 2020
- Antibody Testing Shows Many Utahns Had COVID-19 But Did Not Know It (pageviews: 20182)
- Three People Seriously Injured After Falling At Stewart Falls (pageviews: 9674)
- Three-Year-Old Child Drowns In Residential Pool In St. George (pageviews: 9639)
- Cache County Woman Dies Of COVID-19; State Total At 98 (pageviews: 7686)
- Woman Killed After Meeting Suspect On Tinder In Layton (pageviews: 7627)
- White Woman Apologizes After Calling Police On Black Man Saying He Was Threatening Her Life (pageviews: 5371)
- Four Minneapolis Officers Fired After Death Of Black Man (pageviews: 5158)
- Thousands Of Boats Inspected For Invasive Mussels Over Holiday Weekend (pageviews: 5055)
- Lawmakers Want VA To Remove Swastika From Gravestone At Utah Cemetery (pageviews: 4454)
- Woman Talks About Close Encounter With Tinder Murder Suspect (pageviews: 4235)