Massive Explosion Seen After Train Derails Near Rock Springs
ROCK SPRINGS, Wyo. – A Union Pacific train hauling alcohol and liquid propane derailed near Rock Springs, Wyoming, according to Scott Kitchner, fire chief for Sweetwater County Fire District 1.
Kitchner said approximately 50 cars derailed in the crash, which happened Saturday afternoon near milepost 107 on Interstate 80.
Three explosions were reported with one sending flames 100 feet in the air, officials said.
WOW: This explosion was seen after a train derailed outside Rock Springs, Wyoming, on Saturday. Officials said approximately 50 cars derailed and seven or eight were still burning Saturday night.More info here: https://ksltv.com/439358/massive-explosion-seen-after-train-derails-near-rock-springs/(Video courtesy: Jen Wiberg)
Posted by KSL 5 TV on Saturday, 13 June 2020
Seven or eight cars were still burning Saturday night and Kitchner said crews will remain on scene overnight to monitor the fire. The crash happened in a remote area and no structures were threatened by the fire.
A few deputies that responded to the scene suffered minor burns but no other injuries were reported.
Union Pacific officials were investigating the cause of the crash, which caused some backup on their tracks.
- 17-year-old boy died by suicide hours after being 'sextorted' (pageviews: 36713)
- Friends remember mom, tattoo artist shot and killed in Pleasant Grove (pageviews: 15198)
- Woman fatally shot in Pleasant Grove; police say her son is now in custody (pageviews: 14120)
- Springville High softball team honors teen shot in murder-suicide scenario (pageviews: 10444)
- Man identified in Springville shooting of teen (pageviews: 8343)
- 911 dispatcher who asked 'Why are you whispering?' during Buffalo shooting, to be fired (pageviews: 8162)
- Woman found dead after apparent drowning in Ogden Canyon (pageviews: 7270)