FEMA Authorizes Funds To Help Fight Knolls, Canal Fires In Utah
DENVER, Colo. — The U.S. Department of Homeland Security’s Federal Emergency Management Agency has authorized the use of federal funds to help with firefighting costs for the Knolls and Canal Fires in Utah.
— FEMA Region 8 (@femaregion8) June 29, 2020
“FEMA Regional Administrator Lee dePalo approved the state’s request for a federal Fire Management Assistance Grant (FMAG) after receiving the separate requests earlier today and determining that both fires threatened such destruction as would constitute a major disaster,” read a statement from FEMA.
The authorization makes FEMA funding available to pay 75 percent of the state’s eligible firefighting costs.
The Knolls Fire broke out around 2 p.m. Sunday in Saratoga Springs. Around 3,100 homes and 13,000 residents were evacuated after strong winds caused the fire to move quickly through the city.
Video shows the Knolls Fire as it rips through a backyard in Saratoga Springs.
🎥: Deputy Haymond pic.twitter.com/rFgq9dEc7L
— KSL 5 TV (@KSL5TV) June 29, 2020
A declaration of local emergency was issued just before 9:00 p.m. Sunday.
— Alex Cabrero (@KSL_AlexCabrero) June 29, 2020
The fire has reportedly burned in excess of 2,000 acres of state, federal and private land.
The Canal Fire started just before 6:30 p.m. Friday in Millard County.
It reached 450 acres and was 100% contained Saturday, but strong winds caused the fire to break containment and threaten nearby homes Sunday afternoon.
Unfortunately we have bad news on the Canal Fire in Millard County near Oak City. Because of strong winds the fire has escaped containment and is threatening structures. Fool Creek and Leamington are being evacuated.
— Spencer Cox (@SpencerJCox) June 28, 2020
Approximately 300 people in the Fool Creek and Leamington areas were evacuated.
The fire has destroyed about 2,000 acres of state and private land.
- Kirstie Alley, Emmy-winning ‘Cheers’ star, dies at 71 (pageviews: 23761)
- Hunter High shooter gets juvenile detention for killing 2 students; case now closed (pageviews: 6035)
- Two dead after crashing into parked truck (pageviews: 5428)
- Family, friends remember Utah Tech freshman as 'the life of the party' (pageviews: 5364)
- ‘It’s kind of an eerie feeling;’ Utah man living in Hawaii witnesses Mauna Loa eruption - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4461)
- Utah Tech student dead after accidentally falling from balcony (pageviews: 3951)