Brush Fire Damages Fences, Burns Close To Home In Sandy
SANDY, Utah – Firefighters were investigating a field fire at Dimple Dell Regional Park that damaged several fences and came dangerously close to at least one house Tuesday.
Deputy Chief Ryan McConaghie with the Sandy City Fire Department said crews responded to the fire near 10100 South and 300 East and immediately saw smoke and flames as winds pushed the fire toward homes on the east side of the park.
“It is a very good reminder … in this dry grass and 100-degree temperatures how quickly with this wind that a fire can get going and spread,” McConaghie said. “We are susceptible to quick-spreading fires this time of year.”
One woman told KSL she was home at the time the fire started and it took less than three minutes for the flames to reach her property line.
“Yeah, it was quite terrifying,” said the woman, who declined to give her name. “Time’s not on your side when there’s a fire.”
She said the fire actually burned past her chain link fence when her father-in-law arrived home early from work.
“He hooked up the hose,” she said. “He met the fire at the foundation of the house.”
Crews soon joined the fight, the woman said, and kept the fire at bay.
“Yeah, right place, right time — he’s our hero!” she said, praising the work of her father-in-law, as well as firefighters. “They were two angels looking out.”
The cause remained unclear Tuesday night, but firefighters said that fireworks were a potential culprit.
“We do know that there have been a lot of grass fires around,” McConaghie said. “It does make us easily become suspicious of fireworks but that has not been proven.”
- Plane Crash Survivors Share Their Miracle In The Sky (pageviews: 10342)
- Zoo & Aquarium Animals Reacting In Unexpected Ways During Shutdown (pageviews: 9898)
- Some Davis Co. Parents Scramble For School Options (pageviews: 6370)
- 6-Year-Old Boy Hit On Bicycle, Thrown 30 Feet In Kearns (pageviews: 3693)
- Pres. Trump Allows Some Unemployment Pay, Defers Payroll Tax (pageviews: 3661)
- Small Plane With 6 Onboard Crashes In Duchesne County (pageviews: 2936)
- Low-Speed Pursuit, Fire In Kearns Lead To Discovery Of Larger Series Of Crimes (pageviews: 2448)
- Simon Cowell Injures Back While Testing Electric Bicycle (pageviews: 2361)
- Wednesday's Child: Austin Finds His Forever Home After 5,449 Days In Foster Care (pageviews: 2151)