1 Child Dies, 3 Other Juveniles Transported After Being Ejected During Crash On I-15
SCIPIO, Utah – Four children were ejected from a vehicle during a crash in Millard County on Thursday, and one of them died at the scene, officials said.
The incident happened on I-15 near mile marker 194 in an area that is at the beginning of a construction project, according to the Utah Highway Patrol.
A Dodge Caravan traveling north was attempting to pass a semi-truck in the left lane at a transition zone of the construction area.
“The Dodge Caravan quickly ran out (of) space and was faced with either driving into the barrels, or side swiping the semi,” according to a UHP statement.
The driver the steered sharply to the left where the van struck a median crossover and “vaulted across it,” according to the statement. When the vehicle landed, it rolled several times. The four juveniles were ejected as the van rolled.
Authorities report the driver was seriously injured and had to be extricated. An adult female passenger suffered minor injuries.
Three of the children were transported to the hospital before being flown to another hospital. The fourth child, an 11-year-old girl, received treatment at the scene from paramedics who had been passing by. However, she was declared deceased at the scene.
“The Utah Highway Patrol urges drivers to reduce speed in construction zones, follow all traffic control signs and merge lanes early if possible,” according to the UHP. “UHP urges the importance of seat belts and child restraints and how they save lives.”
The victims identities have not been released.
- SLC replacing fireworks with laser shows for July holidays (pageviews: 23816)
- Off-duty officer saves Draper mom from drowning (pageviews: 18797)
- SLC replacing fireworks with laser shows for July holidays – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6273)
- Police: Man dead after riding lawn mower falls off terrace (pageviews: 3369)
- 4 charged in Texas semi-truck smuggling operation that left 53 migrants dead (pageviews: 3159)
- 2nd visitor in 3 days gored by Yellowstone park bison (pageviews: 3152)