Church Leaders Issue Statement Condemning Violence, Lawless Behavior
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Leaders of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints issued a statement condemning violence and lawless behavior, including recent violence at the U.S. Capitol.
The statement, which was issued by the First Presidency and Quorum of the Twelve Apostles on Friday, also reminded members of their covenant and sacred responsibility to follow the Savior and “no political or other affiliation should supersede that covenant and sacred responsibility.”
The statement also reaffirmed the Church’s neutrality in matters of party politics. It can be read in its entirety below:
“Principles of government that allow God’s children to maintain human dignity and freedom belong to all mankind. (see Doctrine and Covenants 98:5).
“With great concern we observe the political and cultural divisions in the United States and around the world. We condemn violence and lawless behavior, including the recent violence in Washington, D.C. and any suggestion of further violence. While The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is neutral in matters of party politics, we remind our members—whatever their individual political views—to be united in our commitment to the Savior, Jesus Christ, and His teachings. As His followers, we should treat one another and all of God’s children with respect, dignity, and love. No political or other affiliation should supersede that covenant and sacred responsibility.
“We urge all people to remember the precious and fragile nature of freedom and peace. As citizens of the United States look ahead to the Inauguration of a new President, we urge our members to honor democratic institutions and processes, and to obey, honor, and sustain the law (see Articles of Faith 1:12).”
- Eagle Mountain Man Facing Charge For Grocery Store Incident Involving Teen Girls (pageviews: 4882)
- Utah Man Recovering After Being Attacked Near Downtown SLC (pageviews: 2698)
- Prince Philip, Husband Of Queen Elizabeth II, Dies Aged 99 (pageviews: 2617)
- Are Californians To Blame For Utah’s Surging Home Prices? (pageviews: 2556)
- State Officials Issue New Public Health Order (pageviews: 1838)
- If You're 50 Or Older: 5 Things To Know After Getting COVID-19 Vaccine (pageviews: 1705)
- Biden Tightens Some Gun Controls, Says Much More Needed (pageviews: 1471)
- Biden Making New Moves On Guns, Including Naming ATF Boss (pageviews: 1464)
- Mayor Erin Mendenhall Updates SLC Mask Order (pageviews: 1203)