Police: Fatal Hit-And-Run Suspect Arrested After Hiding In Manure Pile, Escaping Custody
PAYSON, Utah – A Salt Lake City man was arrested in connection with a fatal hit-and-run crash in South Salt Lake after police said he fled from officers, hid in a pile of manure and escaped police custody at a Utah County hospital.
Officials said Adalberto Ozeta, 30, was arrested and booked into the Utah County Jail on charges of interference with an arresting officer, failure to stop/respond to an officer’s command, escaping official custody and possession of a controlled substance.
According to a probable cause statement, police attempted to stop Ozeta, who was driving a reportedly stolen vehicle, near the Lehi/Bluffdale border.
Ozeta fled southbound on Redwood Road and drove into oncoming traffic. Officers said they stopped their pursuit due to safety concerns, but they kept “visual of the suspect vehicle until a helicopter was able to pick up the pursuit.”
“The suspect fled south on Redwood Road running red lights, passing vehicles unsafely and traveling at speeds in excess of 100 mph despite no officers pursuing,” police said. “The suspect ultimately got the vehicle stuck and fled on foot.”
Officials said Ozeta attempted to conceal himself in a pile of manure before he was located.
Police said a search of Ozeta’s person revealed a bag with methamphetamine, and Ozeta was taken into custody and transported to Mountain View Hospital in Payson.
“Ozeta was brought to Mountain View Hospital because he said he swallowed a balloon of heroin,” officials said.
Police said they left Ozeta handcuffed to a bed at the hospital, but he “slipped the handcuff and fled on foot out the emergency doors.”
He was retaken into custody a short time later.
- Hunter High shooter gets juvenile detention for killing 2 students; case now closed (pageviews: 8768)
- Get Gephardt: Husband sued for deceased wife’s unpaid medical bill - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6320)
- Judge calls Orem mayor 'lynchpin' in fraud case, orders him and son to pay $1M (pageviews: 5012)
- NB I-15 reopens following crash, massive oil spill in Draper - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4958)
- NB I-15 closed in Draper following multi-car crash, oil spill (pageviews: 4861)
- Man arrested for breaking into Provo temple, claiming he was just cold, police say (pageviews: 4639)