Utah House Votes For Dropping ‘Dixie’ From University Name
SALT LAKE CITY (AP) – The Utah House has voted in support of Dixie State University dropping “Dixie” from its name.
Dixie State University, located in St. George, recommended the name change after reviewing the results of a study that showed some employers in other states expressed concern about the name on graduates’ resumes.
The university’s board of trustees voted for a name change in December, which was then supported by the higher education board.
Supporters said the Dixie name is important to the area’s heritage and is separate from the history of slavery. The bill will now move to the Senate.
- Former sex crimes prosecutor arrested for child porn in Utah County - KSLTV.com (pageviews: 7254)
- Coach, kicker & official reflect on Cottonwood High's rare, game-winning play (pageviews: 4854)
- One dead, one in critical condition after I-15 crash in Ogden (pageviews: 4398)
- Tooele man arrested, accused of biting off part of teen's ear (pageviews: 3016)
- One dead, one in critical condition after being hit while changing tires in Ogden (pageviews: 2865)