New Jobless Claims In Utah Decline For 4th Week
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – Last week, 3,113 Utahns filed for first-time unemployment benefits, a decrease of about 400 from the previous week’s report.
For the week ending Feb. 20, 3,545 workers filed new jobless claims.
Nearly 250 fewer residents filed continued claims last week. For the week ending Feb. 27, 32,514 Utahns filed claims for at least two consecutive weeks. According to the previous week’s report, 32,763 people filed continued claims.
“Total new weekly unemployment claims have decreased for four consecutive weeks, with an overall decrease of 32% during that four-week time period,” said Kevin Burt, director of the Unemployment Insurance Division for the Utah Department of Workforce Services. “With many of the federally-funded unemployment benefit extensions set to expire on March 13, 2021, we are confident there are many employment opportunities for these individuals to successfully return to work.”
DWS officials also noted that the Mixed Earner Unemployment Compensation program was deployed in Utah on Feb. 24. The program provides an additional $100 per week up to 11 weeks to eligible residents who have lost both covered and self-employment wages.
To be eligible for the program, a worker must have received a traditional unemployment benefit between Dec. 27, 2020 – March 13 and provide evidence they have also lost more than $5,000 in self employment wages.
Nationally, about 745,000 Americans filed for new unemployment benefits last week.
If an individual’s employment has been impacted by COVID-19, they should visit jobs.utah.gov/covid19 for updated information including help for employees and employers returning to work.
- If You're 50 Or Older: 5 Things To Know After Getting COVID-19 Vaccine (pageviews: 3947)
- Former Minnesota Cop Charged In Shooting Of Black Motorist (pageviews: 3048)
- 8 People Killed In Shooting At A FedEx Facility In Indianapolis, Police Say (pageviews: 2770)
- Princes William, Harry Won't Walk Side-By-Side At Funeral (pageviews: 1316)
- Raising Cane’s To Open South Jordan Restaurant June 8, Provo Location Later This Summer (pageviews: 1224)
- New Video Shows Suspect Pepper-Spray Utah Highway Patrol Trooper (pageviews: 1171)
- Venmo Scams: Protecting Yourself From Fraudsters – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 951)
- Judge Refuses Request To Acquit Chauvin In Floyd's Death (pageviews: 898)
- How Does An Officer Grab A Taser Over A Gun? (pageviews: 817)