Add More Veggies To Your Dinner With This Root Vegetable Pakoras Recipe
SALT LAKE CITY, Utah – For those looking to cook with more vegetables, you’ll have to try this dish.
Here’s a recipe from Harmons chefs Lesli Sommerdorf and Callyn Graf for root vegetable pakoras.
Root Vegetable Pakoras
Total Time: :45
- 1½ cups chickpea flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp ground garam masala
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1/8 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup water
- 2 rutabagas, shredded
- 2 turnips, shredded
- 1 yellow onion, quartered and finely sliced
- 1 tsp salt
- Canola or vegetable oil, for deep frying
- 10 dates, pitted
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp cayenne powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 2 Tbsp tamarind paste
In a bowl, sift flour. Add salt, turmeric, garam masala, baking soda, pepper, and paprika and stir to combine. Add eggs and water and stir until batter is thick and resembles pancake batter. Add rutabaga, turnips, and onion and stir well to coat vegetables.
In a deep heavy-based frying pan, add oil and heat to 350°.
In batches, carefully lower tablespoons of vegetable-batter into oil and fry until pakoras are crisp, golden brown, and vegetables have cooked through, 5-6 minutes. Using a spider or slotted spoon, transfer pakoras to a cooling rack set over a rimmed baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt. Repeat with remaining batter.
To make the dipping sauce, in a saucepan over high heat, add ½ cup water and dates. Cook until soft, about 15 minutes. Let cool.
In a blender, add dates, sugar, cayenne, salt, cumin, coriander, and tamarind and blend until smooth.
Serve pakoras with dipping sauce.
- Police: Man steals excavator, tears up ground outside grocery store (pageviews: 10928)
- Utah company must pay FTC over $200,000 for their fake ‘made in the USA’ tags – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 10276)
- Flash flood advisory for Salt Lake, Davis County – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 8607)
- USANA Amphitheatre briefly evacuated due to weather – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 6176)
- Utah company must pay FTC over $200,000 for their fake 'made in the USA' tags (pageviews: 5885)
- Hiker seriously injured by falling rock in Little Cottonwood Canyon (pageviews: 5171)
- Hiker seriously injured by falling rock in Little Cottonwood Canyon – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 5037)