Body Recovered in Apparent Drowning in Spring Lake
SPRING LAKE, Utah — Authorities have recovered the body of a 19-year-old man who died while swimming in Spring Lake in Utah County.
Utah County Sheriff’s Office announced Saturday that the body was found several hours after the man slipped beneath the surface while swimming with a friend Friday. The body was located by searchers in about 10 feet of water.
The body has been identified as Weston Lane Peterson of Fairview, Utah.
UCSO officials said a 19-year-0ld man was swimming in the lake with friends around 6:45 p.m. Friday when he began to struggle.
Bystanders said they also saw a woman struggling in the water.
According to Sgt. Spencer Cannon with the UCSO, a bystander swam out to the two, helped the woman to shore, but when he returned to the middle of the lake, the man was gone.
Search and rescue crews, as well as Payson Fire & Rescue crews, responded to the area to look for the teen.
Crews relied heavily on scuba divers and sonar equipment since Spring Lake is such a small body of water.
“Rescue crews can’t use big equipment on this lake,” said Cannon. “We are relying heavily on touch, because the water visibility is so murky. We will continue to search, as long as our human resources allow.”
Cannon said Spring Lake is not known for drownings.
- Details emerge in killings of 2 elderly Clearfield residents (pageviews: 24105)
- Man arrested in Mexico for murder of Utah radio host (pageviews: 8038)
- EXCLUSIVE: Man takes woman hostage on flight to SLC, Good Samaritan steps in (pageviews: 6318)
- Charges in crash that killed 3 should not have been dismissed, Utah appeals court says (pageviews: 5386)
- Three car crash closes road in West Valley City (pageviews: 3473)
- Man killed in rollover crash on I-15 in Draper (pageviews: 3334)