Pilot Dead After Small Plane Crashes Into North Logan Home
LOGAN, Utah — Federal investigators were expected to be at the scene Sunday morning after a small plane crashed into a home in the northern part of Logan, killing the pilot.
Officials with the Federal Aviation Administration said the single-engine Aerodyne SeaRey LSX struck the home around 8:30 p.m. Saturday.
According to Chief Ulysses Black with the North Park Police Department, the aircraft crashed into the back of a residence near 2300 North and 3000 East, which was not occupied at the time.
“A lot of people from the neighborhood obviously came to see what happened and a lot of emergency vehicles, policemen, first responders,” said witness David Koch.
Black said the pilot, who was pronounced dead at the scene, was the sole occupant of the plane.
“I think most people are just surprised. It’s obviously very tragic,” said Koch.
Chief Brad Hanning of the Logan Fire Department said Saturday night that crews were working on recovering the body and figuring out whether the home was safe.
“We called in North Logan building department to evaluate the building integrity and stood by for communication with the (National Transportation Safety Board) and the FAA,” he said. “It’s definitely a different circumstance. We’re fortunate that nobody was in the home, so there’s no other injuries, and you know, the complication is the integrity of the building.”
Hanning said many neighborhood residents rushed to the home after the plane crashed to see if they could help.
“There were many witnesses here upon my arrival and crews’ arrival,” he said. “There were several people actually on the roof of the house when our crew arrived.”
The pilot’s name has not been released.
The incident is under investigation by the FAA and NTSB.
KSL 5 TV Live
- The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints announces temple groundbreakings (pageviews: 76405)
- How to see the Northern Lights, sighted recently in Utah skies (pageviews: 22066)
- More snow piles up Sunday and it's not over yet (pageviews: 15455)
- DNA analysis of Beethoven's hair reveals health issues, family secret (pageviews: 12156)
- Two dead, one critically injured after crash in Magna (pageviews: 12014)
- Elk herd returns to SLC golf course after multiple relocation attempts (pageviews: 10654)
- 3 killed in multi-vehicle crash; NB I-15 closed for several hours in Box Elder County (pageviews: 8197)