Nonprofit Celebrates Pacific Islander Heritage Month, Remembers Utahns Lost During Pandemic
SALT LAKE CITY — August is Utah Pacific Islander Heritage Month, and organizers are celebrating the heritage and contributions of Pacific Islanders here in the Beehive State while remembering those in their community who lost their lives to COVID-19.
Nonprofit Pacific Island Knowledge 2 Action Resources kicked off celebrations over the weekend at the new “Three Creeks Confluence Park” with cultural performances, live music, traditional food and crafts on display.
About 50,000 thousand Pacific Islanders call Utah home – a group hit hard by the pandemic.
According to the Utah Department of Health, Pacific Islanders make up 1.6% of Utah’s population but account for 2.3% of COVID-19 cases.
“It’s been a tough year, but there are some great opportunities ahead. We’ve learned a lot of great lessons through the pandemic that we can really improve and expand the work that we do as community organizations moving forward,” said Jake Fitisemanu, West Valley City councilman and senior community health specialist with Intermountain Healthcare.
The theme for the ninth annual event is Charting New Waters.
There will be a Friendly Islands Tongan Festival on Aug. 12 and a Polynesian Days festival on Sept. 3 at Thanksgiving Point to wrap up the celebrations.
For a list of all these events, click here.
- Dental records prove remains found in Florida are those of Brian Laundrie, boyfriend to Gabby Petito (pageviews: 13583)
- Parents of 6-year-old girl killed on Colorado amusement park ride file wrongful death suit (pageviews: 6751)
- Warrant: Baldwin didn't know weapon contained live round (pageviews: 6531)
- Strong probability that suspected remains found in Florida park are Brian Laundrie's, family attorney says (pageviews: 5863)
- Recall: Red, white and yellow whole onions identified as source of salmonella outbreak (pageviews: 4632)
- Sheriff: Baldwin fired prop gun that killed cinematographer (pageviews: 4318)
- SLC IT employee arrested after allegedly providing undercover police data to human trafficker (pageviews: 3714)
- Sheriff: Baldwin fired shot on movie set that killed woman (pageviews: 3468)
- Utah teen girl arrested for planning mass casualty event at school (pageviews: 3382)