Harrisville sports bar destroyed in massive fire
HARRISVILLE, Utah — A massive fire shut down U.S. Highway 89 and destroyed a longtime sports bar in Weber County.
Sargents Ranch Inn was under construction and according to the former owner, big changes were in store for the popular hangout. Now, their future is up in the air after the fire broke out just after 4 a.m. Thursday.
“We arrived on scene and saw a lot of smoke coming out of the eves and the back of the building,” said Ryan Barker, fire marshal for the North View Fire District.
Flames and smoke billowed out of the building throughout the morning, forcing crews to shut down U.S. 89 for several hours.
“By the time we were able to get inside, we got in through the roof and we pulled everyone out and made it a defensive fire,” Barker said.
Keith Sargent, the building’s former owner, was devastated.
“It’s pretty sad,” he said. “I had owned it for about 14 years.”
Sargent just sold the bar a few weeks ago and the new owners had plans to add a dance club and other new features.
Sargents Ranch Inn a total loss this morning. Crews working to put out a fire that’s been burning since 4:30 a.m. We’ve talked to the former owner & patrons who are sad to see it go. Live recap on KSL at noon. #KSLTV pic.twitter.com/TznXeErDAS
— Tamara Vaifanua (@TamaraVaifanua) September 16, 2021
“A lot of regular customers, regular friends — this is kind of the place everyone went,” he said.
Jayson Stephenson was one of those regulars and spent holidays here with his bike club.
“It’s really sad to see,” he said. “It kinda tugs at the heartstrings knowing how many times we’ve met here to go out on a ride.”
Investigators are still looking into the cause of the fire but said the building is a total loss.
The new owners posted on Facebook that they are absolutely crushed, but they will find a way to rebuild for their customers.
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints makes changes to ‘tithing settlement’ – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 34915)
- Meteor causes loud boom heard across northern Utah, National Weather Service says (pageviews: 24405)
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints makes changes to 'tithing settlement' (pageviews: 11463)
- Meteor causes loud boom heard across northern Utah, National Weather Service says – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 8961)
- Anne Heche is 'not expected to survive,' family says in statement (pageviews: 7037)
- Utah company Lions Not Sheep responds to $211K FTC fine – KSLTV.com (pageviews: 4182)