College student with autism asking for help after her learning tools were stolen
SALT LAKE CITY – A Utah woman has reached out to the public for help after her MacBook computer and a smart pen were stolen from her car.
Summer Brown is on the autism spectrum and just started her first semester at Salt Lake Community College.
Last week, her plans took a big hit when a thief broke into her car and stole two important items.
The MacBook computer and smart pen are critical to her success in taking notes. In fact, that smart pen was a loaner from the school.
Not only will she have to replace it, but she can’t take notes without it.
“I want to build rockets,” said Brown.
Summer Brown loves school and has big goals for the future.
“I’m going to major in astronomical engineering,” she said.
For Brown, being on the autism spectrum has presented a few challenges.
“I have an auditory processing disorder that goes hand in hand with being on the autism spectrum,” said Brown.
Part of the solution is a smart pen that she uses in class, which was issued to her through the U of U Disability Resource Center.
“The pen actually records all my lectures at the time so I can take notes in class, but then go home and listen to it,” she said.
Around 8:30 p.m. Thursday, Brown said she was visiting her grandmother in her care center when someone broke into her car and stole her bag.
From there, the person went to the Whitmore Library parking lot, where they rifled through her things.
They took the expensive items and even some sentimental stuff — like pictures of Brown’s now deceased father.
“It’s my first semester at SLCC, so I’m pretty broke as-is,” said Brown. “I really don’t have the means to cover the cost.”
She filed a police report, but needs new supplies ASAP, so she started a GoFundMe* account.
Brown knows the likelihood of getting the pictures back of her dad are slim, but she hopes to continue her eduction.
“It’s great,” she said. “It’s a really new experience, I guess everything I could have hoped for.”
Cottonwood Heights police are working on the case.
They told her it could take a couple of weeks before they get a hold of surveIllance video from the parking lot.
*KSL-TV does not assure that the money deposited to the account will be applied for the benefit of the persons named as beneficiaries. If you are considering a deposit to the account, you should consult your own advisors and otherwise proceed at your own risk.
- Dental records prove remains found in Florida are those of Brian Laundrie, boyfriend to Gabby Petito (pageviews: 13583)
- Parents of 6-year-old girl killed on Colorado amusement park ride file wrongful death suit (pageviews: 6751)
- Warrant: Baldwin didn't know weapon contained live round (pageviews: 6531)
- Strong probability that suspected remains found in Florida park are Brian Laundrie's, family attorney says (pageviews: 5863)
- Recall: Red, white and yellow whole onions identified as source of salmonella outbreak (pageviews: 4632)
- Sheriff: Baldwin fired prop gun that killed cinematographer (pageviews: 4318)
- SLC IT employee arrested after allegedly providing undercover police data to human trafficker (pageviews: 3714)
- Sheriff: Baldwin fired shot on movie set that killed woman (pageviews: 3468)
- Utah teen girl arrested for planning mass casualty event at school (pageviews: 3382)