Aaron Lowe’s family frustrated accused killer was on the streets
SALT LAKE CITY — The brother of Ute football player Aaron Lowe, who was murdered a week ago, is not happy the suspect was on the streets to begin with.
Chris Jackson, who is 16 years older than Lowe, said it was very upsetting for the family to learn the alleged killer’s long and violent criminal history.
“When we had an opportunity to find out the name of the young man, and then also see his extensive criminal history, that was more upsetting, because it was the whole idea that the criminal justice system failed altogether,” said Chris Jackson, Lowe’s older brother. “Looking at his crimes, he should have been in jail. He should have had some type of rehabilitation or intervention.”
Police said he’s the man who shot and killed Lowe and also shot a 20-year-old woman during the early morning hours of Sunday, Sept. 26.
Jackson told KSL-TV that the woman who was shot is his brother’s girlfriend.
She survived the shooting and was taken to the hospital in critical condition.
“Our deepest thoughts are with her, and we’re well aware my brother really cared for her,” said Jackson.
During a press conference Sunday morning, Chief Mike Brown with the Salt Lake City Police Department said “this was not a targeted attack against the university, its athletic department, or Aaron Lowe. And despite the rumors on social media, this was also not a targeted gang-related shooting. This was a shooting that should have never happened.”
Jackson said the family, right now, is not focusing on the why.
“The ‘why,’ it doesn’t bring us any solace because we know what kind of person that my brother was. My brother’s a peacemaker. Never in his life has he participated in any type of physical altercation. That wasn’t his demeanor,” said Jackson.
Jackson is now just one week away from burying his brother, a triplet, who had big dreams and aspirations of playing in the NFL one day.
The funeral is scheduled for next Monday afternoon in Mesquite, Texas.
“I was probably one of the main influences in their lives, and so this loss really hurts me — as if I lost a child — because all of his milestones in life, I was there,” said Jackson. “I’m proud that I had an opportunity to be his big brother.”
- Dental records prove remains found in Florida are those of Brian Laundrie, boyfriend to Gabby Petito (pageviews: 13583)
- Parents of 6-year-old girl killed on Colorado amusement park ride file wrongful death suit (pageviews: 6751)
- Warrant: Baldwin didn't know weapon contained live round (pageviews: 6531)
- Strong probability that suspected remains found in Florida park are Brian Laundrie's, family attorney says (pageviews: 5863)
- Recall: Red, white and yellow whole onions identified as source of salmonella outbreak (pageviews: 4632)
- Sheriff: Baldwin fired prop gun that killed cinematographer (pageviews: 4318)
- SLC IT employee arrested after allegedly providing undercover police data to human trafficker (pageviews: 3714)
- Sheriff: Baldwin fired shot on movie set that killed woman (pageviews: 3468)
- Utah teen girl arrested for planning mass casualty event at school (pageviews: 3382)